Hello

I have a watch movement that I believe is removed from the dial side of the watch case and not from the case back side. I want to come firm that this is true and I've included a couple of pictures to illustrate this. Sorry if the light is too bright, but I tried my best to light the movement and case as best as I could.  I've also included a picture of bezal remover. Can you please confirm if this is the correct tool I should use?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided. 

120221004121332530.jpg

120221004121651545.jpg

msa07.117.jpg

4 minutes ago, mcoulton said:

Hello

I have a watch movement that I believe is removed from the dial side of the watch case and not from the case back side. I want to come firm that this is true and I've included a couple of pictures to illustrate this. Sorry if the light is too bright, but I tried my best to light the movement and case as best as I could.  I've also included a picture of bezal remover. Can you please confirm if this is the correct tool I should use?

120221004121332530.jpg

120221004121651545.jpg

msa07.117.jpg

Eyup matey.  Also helpful to know what brand the watch is and the movement maker. 

17 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup matey.  Also helpful to know what brand the watch is and the movement maker. 

24 minutes ago, mcoulton said:

Hello

120221004121332530.jpg

120221004121651545.jpg

msa07.117.jpg

There does seem to be a reasonable sized gap here to use a case knife. I would be levering on the other side though you have potential here to damage the pushers.

8 minutes ago, mcoulton said:

The brand is the Red Star Men's Chronograph and the movement is Sea-Gull ST 19 (Venus 174 clone)

120221004124452139.jpg

By the simple fact that you have a seperate bezel with the crystal in, does suggest that it could be a front loading movement. 

That's a common enough watch, it seems like there'd be a servicing video out there somewhere.

I've entertained taking a swing at one of those (cheapest mechanical chronograph on the market). How do you feel the quality of the case/dial/hands are? I have a decent feel for the movement (parts are not available, so come service time you can very easily be in for a whole new movement), but I feel like the price difference between the cheapest ST(whatever it is) movement and that version of the watch leaves very little for the packaging.

Edited by spectre6000

The motivation for buying this specific watch was to mirror the movement being used in Level 5 of Mark Lovick tutorials. I didn't want to be left with a working movement and no watch, if that makes sense. When approached from this angle then then it's not a bad deal on aliexpress.com

You get what you pay for and so I'm not being very judgemental of the finish.  I love the clear case back and honestly I was mesmerized for about an hour just seeing how all the parts, gears and hammers worked with each other. Hope this helps.  Take a look at the link. I believe the prices are quoted in Canadian Dollars.

47 minutes ago, mcoulton said:

. I didn't want to be left with a working movement and no watch, if that makes sense

Seems like sound logic mc. At least you have the chance of a usable watch at the end of it.  What you thinking about the case ? Are you working with just loupes. With a microscope and a sharp caseknife you would be able to determine how easy the bezel can be removed. Any tight bezels i remove under a scope , you can easily see them start to give way and can work around the perimeter with much less chance of damage.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1