Remove stem & replace crystal on a Panerai 305 with P9000 movement

1 hour ago, jzt said:

Are there any particular steps to be taken when removing the crown stem of a Panerai using the P9000 caliber? Like a 'button' to press or screw to undo or something..

There is always something like that. You should post a clear picture as not everyone is familiar with what you have by just a designation. 

awesome, thanks!

i won't be attempting any servicing or anything like that (i'm not there yet) i just want to replace the scratched crystal if my attempt to buff out the scratch with diamond paste doesn't work. thanks!

4 hours ago, jzt said:

to buff out the scratch with diamond paste doesn't work. thanks!

Diamond paste does not remove scratches on mineral crystal, abrasive paper on a rotating tool is needed for that. We have various topics one the subject, use the search function. I'm surprised that your expensive watch didn't come with a sapphire crystal. But if indeed it's sapphire, I recommend not to waste your time and  money in trying to restore it with homemade attempts.

Edited by jdm

I guess it still managed to get scratched somehow - i mean, its not unheard of, right?

Tried to buff it with 0.5 micron diamond paste by hand but obviously that's not enough. Didn't want to move on to a dremel buffing wheel yet as I'm not yet able to move to my backup plan (crystal replacement)

I don't have the tool to remove the caseback, lift the bezel & remove/install the crystal yet (ordered on aliexpress but its golden week in china so everything's late). I guess I would need to remove the crystal in order to measure it precisely before ordering the right one.

I measured it with calipers at 34.5mm (with crystal still in the watch) and those seem readily available online with 1.5-2mm thicknesses. However, the Panerai submersible crystals look a lot thicker - check out this assembly video on Youtube at 8:15 below.

My local Panerai boutique is quoting ~US$350 for the replacement crystal and ~US$200 for labor.

Going the DIY route will cost me a few hundred $$, time & effort but I will pick up a skill, and hopefully enjoy doing it

Anyway, I've also attached a photo of the scratch for anyone interested. Will update as soon as I get the tools.

IMG_5592.jpeg