Watch Sizes?

I am still confused on what is meant by ETA and UNITAS?

Do they both use same size dials, cases and hands?

Is there somewhere that can explain this vast array of different movements.

My reason is I fancy trying what I have read is a modded watch and I would like say a 44mm Case,now is there only certain movements for these cases and certain dials and hands?

Total noob here and it may be obvious and I am just missing that link to slot into my distressed brain cell

Thanks

Unitas was an early Swiss make that was eventually taken over by, and incorporated into the ETA group of movements. Two of the most common ETA/Unitas movements are the 6497 and 6498 movements - plus variations. They were essentially small pocket watch movements which, these days, have been used as large wrist watch movements in brands like Hamilton Khaki. The usual case size for these movements is 44mm, excluding crown, though I believe that 42mm cases will fit - and some as large as 48mm.

You can tell the origins of the ETA 6497 as a pocket watch because the seconds sub-dial is at 9 o'clock instead of the more usual 6 o'clock - reflecting the way the original pocket watch sub-dial - at 6 o'clock - would have stood in relation to the crown - at 12 o'clock!

There are also Asian versions of the 6497 and 6498 - Seagull being one - which have virtually the same specs but perhaps without the same finish and precision.

Because of the popularity and availability of these large movements, it's possible to buy a wide selection of dials, hands and cases for them. This is my own custom variation, using parts from Hong Kong - the movement being an Asian 6497 copy of an ETA 6497:

http://www.willswatchpages.com/custom-6497.html

Hope that helps a bit,

Will