Need hands for a 1934 Westclox Dax

BillM

I’ve been searching for all three hands for a 1934 Westclox Dax pocket watch a friend gave me but have had no luck. 
the hour hand hole is huge @ 2.35mm and no one seems to carry hands that size. 
the watch is in bad shape but I’m cleaning and rebuilding it anyway, mostly for practice.  
I’ve looked at eBay for a downer watch but they all are too much $$.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill. 

Evening BillM,

Have you a picture of the Dax? I've recently got working an Ingersoll "Junior" from around 1910 and over Christmas an Ingersoll "Crown" from the 1940's.

Did Westclox make movements for other brands? I only mention it as Ingersoll and Smiths in Wales were associated many years ago and I was able to chop and change parts to get the "Crown" working again. It may be a case of being able to hunt down a cheaper less known version. Alternatively if you're not fussed about the exact hands I'm sure you'll be able to use hands although cosmetically different from another Westclox model.

Good luck 

Evening Bearman, 

Here’s a photo of the watch. I just finished putting it back together after a badly needed cleaning.  
I do not really care if the hands are not original, I just can’t find any the right size. 

I have no idea if Westclox mad movements for other brands.  

I’ll probably end up buying one of the Westclox watches off eBay, I just need to find one cheap.   

0880763D-892E-4107-BB2A-56AE04C76856.jpeg

36FE7AA7-2BB9-46BE-8DBE-7C67D69D930F.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello BillM, By coincidence I had a Westclox "Pocket Ben" arrive in the post today. I won't upset you and say how much I got it for!

I think it's from the 1920's 30's it still works which is great. I also noticed is has the same movement as yours, no doubt the hands from this one would fit yours. I do know Westclox changed the movements on later "Dax's" and "Pocket Bens". If you can track one down of a similar vintage I'd think you'd be ok.

20220112_180530.jpg

20220112_180630.jpg

Bearman, well that’s at least encouraging, thanks. 
i just purchased this one off eBay ( got it at best offer for $15). So I won’t complain, a set of hands alone would cost that. So hopefully these hands fit. 

Bill

DA8148B0-243D-4D5C-80C7-E88067743FB9.png

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• A few years ago, I started out my workbench with a $50 oil kit from ebay with tiny quantities of 9010, HP1300, 8200, 9501, 9415. But the seller was from my own state and known personally by a professional watchmaker I'd taken a starter class with. She doesn't seem to still be selling kits though. This was for me, part of the initial investment and a development phase of "can I do this work, do I have the patience and dexterity." The economics of my quantities received vs the price originally packaged volumes were not really a consideration because I wasn't buying for long term or high throughput (as a pro would need). It was simply a matter of spending $50 on something I was uncertain to succeed at vs spending $150 with no greater guarantee of success. Just adding hobbyist perspective here. And I was fortunate that a professional watchmaker could vouch for my oil repackager.
    • I hope I took enough pictures. I am now going to clean everything and I am pretty uncertain about my ability to put it all back together.  The basic movement should be ok with likely some frustration when putting the big bridge on. But both the calendar side and the automatic parts will be stressful. Specially since everything is so tiny compared to the ST36 so many more parts
    • I have often to reshape stones, for example when I need to replace 'rolled over' or burnished type stone with a modern one. The other case is when a wider pallet stone has to be sized to tight fit the slot in the pallet fork. The tool that does this jobs is this kind of diamond disk. Grit 1000 or 800 is perfect for the honing. If the stone height is to be resized in the way Jon did, this will be enough to put the disk (the big one) on the table top diamond side up, put the stone on the disk, press it with finger and move it forward-reverse for a while on the disk surface, then try the height. If one is carefull and take measures  not to grind the surface bent, this will take no more than minute to resize the jewel. The same way I use to resize the pallet stones.  If a stone edge have to be rounded, then I turn on the top of a rod a 'nest' to receive the stone and glue there the stone with shellac, then while the whole thing is rotated, use the disk as a file to shape the stone.
    • I'm not saying for a second that the truly "cheap" watches aren't worthwhile (I have plenty of them too). Hopefully that's not what was conveyed. I just don't want to make it the primary focus any more than making finding a Rolex for $5 the primary focus. Anything anyone finds under the threshold they feel is worth the cup of coffee cost of entry is worth it in my book. I want the name to convey that, and not just "cheap" as that leaves out a big chunk of the fun of it. Cheap, yes, also diamonds in the rough, once in a lifetime finds, watches to learn on, and probably some other angle I'm missing. Something like "I skipped a trip to Starbucks for this!" (which sounds way too much like a clickbait listicle title) that doesn't make any judgements on the watches themselves, simply notes the price paid was low.
    • Yes- and even cheaper straight from the maker (and 30% off on top of that right now, 240 Euro) https://www.toolteam.com/de-DE/kaefer-jka-feintaster-40001-t-766312-4031452400014.html