To Chime or Not to Chime.

RogerH

I would be interested in your thoughts and experiences regarding the matter of striking clocks that have no silence option. Often the whole point of the clock is that it chimes but sometimes, in a more practical sense it can be annoying if it's in the lounge or outside bedrooms etc. You can muffle the bell but more often people just don't wind up the strike side. However, if it's a rack and snail design, the rack can still drop down onto the snail and there will be no power to lift it back up. It will then be sat against the snail permanently  - will this cause any damage? Is there a better option? 

Hi Roger   I have a c lock on the staircase which has no silent lever and because of a complaint from she who thinks she is the Boss. Complaint was the sriking and ticking so we have a compromise  I dont wind the chine/strike on the clock. Its been like it for years with no adverse effect.

On my Grandfather clock I've tied the rack up so it won't drop. I think you're right OH, there must be a possibility of jamming or scoring of the snail. I've got a Smiths Westminster chime on the bench at the mo, once it's back together I'll experiment and let you know.