How was your illinois pocket watch made

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Thanks watchweasol that's fantastic. I've had a quick scan through, it's always good to have a manual. You don't happen to have the 104 manual it refers to for cleaning? Off now to read and digest, thanks again.
    • As I indicated above I did email the best pictures that I could see of all the pictures and I'm pasting the answer below. To really go beyond we need better pictures. Then the definition a better pictures is the impossible picture? There's a reference to the roller table which is totally invisible at all these pictures. In the early days of lever escapement's there are lots of variations of things. So the roller table located underneath everything engaging with the lever might have something clever. If your watchmaker with a loop it's easy enough to look in. Photographing that would be quite a challenge unless you knew exactly what you're doing. Then attempting to remove the balance wheel would not recommend unless you have experience with watches of this type. As because removing the balance bridge does not allow you to remove the balance wheel without underpinning the hairspring. Typically the hairsprings are pinned to the main plate. You will notice the reference to conversion to lever escapement. As technology changed the early movements would transition into newer movements. So basically they will take their older movements and start to add bits and pieces of newer technology on to them rather than making an entirely new watches.     As for the fusee, I really can't make out any details about the escapement from those poor photos. It looks like a standard lever escapement but it has a verge style balance cock. The case marks look like London, 1830. This would be way too early for a standard lever escapement. Perhaps it started out its life as a verge and was converted to a lever at a later date. I'm pretty sure that the signature is James McCabe - a well known and collectible watchmaker. It would be interesting to see more details of the roller table. This could, for example, be a Massey lever. Better pictures would help.
    • Thank you aac58😊👍🏻
    • Hi    according to the list its a 108   manufactured in 78.  manual attached.      cheers 108 (2).pdf
    • Thanks watchweasol. I've had another look and it says the following at the bottom of the dial: Great Britain "46562 10878" JerseyMo, the plucky little watch isn't done yet. The auto-winding is definitely working. I've been checking in on it periodically and giving it a shake. It's ticking away as it should and the date advances, even if it's running about 12-15 mins slow over roughly a 12 hour period. I've warmed to it for sure. The bean counters can't mark this one off their spreadsheet just yet. Hello again Poljot. Is the "sophisticated" click just a piece of bent metal engaging the teeth? I think I'll have to investigate further and report back, after I've cleaned the DNA and grime from around the case back before I open it!