Waltham Traveller, First Victim?

The movement dates to about 1909. It's a sidewinder, Waltham traveller. Never knew that when I bought it, as mine is a top winder. But will try to rebuild it and get it working,, practice on this one first before trying to do mine.

Ta da....

Got it all back together and it works, well, kind of!

Feeling dead proud that it worked in the holder, the movement didn'nt work when I got it,so feeling great that it did now, I took it out and turned it upside down and it stopped!

When I got it, the balance wheel/spring would only go one way,,solid the other way. So putting it back together must have sorted that problem out, as it spins freely now . Or until it's turned on its side or upside down, when it slows and stops. Think the problem must be with the wheel/spring. Any idea's what might cause it to do this. I haven't oiled or cleaned anything, just stripped it and reassembled it.

post-760-0-67722400-1428006402_thumb.jpg

This has happened to me many times. All that work to get things back together and the balance wheel does stupid things.  If it runs fine dial side down and slows when dial up I'd start by checking that the balance cock jewel is completely cleaned and oiled properly. 

The jewel setting should be removed and it will come apart in two pieces - hole and cap. The hole needs to be pegged out and the cap jewel should be clean to a smooth mirror finish. Place a drop of oil on the cap jewel so that about 2/3 of the surface is covered. place the hole jewel on top. The press the whole thing back into the balance cock. 

I have also started assembling the balance first before any other part of the watch to make sure it swings freely. It should keep going quite a while under the power of the hairspring alone

EDIT: Just re-read your post and saw you haven't cleaned the watch yet. A gummed up pivot anywhere in the watch could cause the sluggish balance wheel. Do a full cleaning and re-assess.

Edited by Willyrover

Thanks wileyrover.

I haven't got around to buying any oil just yet, that seems a bit of a minefield. Been watching the other thread on oils,to get an idea what to get.

So looks like another strip down for it then, only this time for a clean and oil. All good practice.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a follow up. I took the movement apart again and cleaned it, then had a good look at it. The jewel where the balance pivot goes in, on the main plate is fractured. Holding it up to the light you can see cracks in it, and putting a piece of pointed peg wood in there, you can feel it's very rough. Also the pivot hole for the 4th wheel is also rough. so time to consign it to a spares box. I did take the main spring back out and repaired my own watch where the spring had broke. So that one is running again now, the winder is working too, So all good on that.

It's been good learning on this, enjoyed it. Thanks for the help.

Now on to the next victim.

Edited by badger