A Nice Hamilton 978 Railroad Watch From 1915

WillFly

This is my Hamilton 978, an early railroad-style watch from 1915. The face is nicely defined, with lovely minute markings. Like all RR-style watches it's crown and lever set. The movement is beautifully damaskeened - and I should have said "Railroad-style Watch" in my post heading because it's adjusted to 3 positions and not 5 - therefore not official railroad grade.

Hamilton%20978%201915%20face.JPG

Hamilton%20978%201915%20movement.JPG

Edited by WillFly

About 2-3 years ago, I think, though whether from eBay or an online auction I can't remember. Probably an online auction. The 978 grade isn't as well known as the 992B. It's interesting that it's lever set. I had a 925 that was also lever set and was an open face hunter movement - wound at 3 o'clock.

When lever setting was first introduced, it had a bit of a vogue with domestic purchasers and was probably also good enough, if not for railways, at least for urban tramways. From the state of mine, I suspect it was a domestic purchase.

I like lever set movements as you don't have to worry about a complicated winding stem for them that pulls out. Basically, you can wind them with a small screwdriver as the setting takes place elsewhere in the movement! Most of the pocket watch cases of that era had a space under the bezel for a lever to pull out, so they could be bought for either lever set or crown set movements.

I wish the days of walking into a shop, selecting a movement, and then selecting a case to house it, were still with us. What interesting watches we'd have!

I wish the days of walking into a shop, selecting a movement, and then selecting a case to house it, were still with us. What interesting watches we'd have!

That's the basis of my business-(OK, maybe not walk into, but maybe Browse into :thumbsu: !)

Chose your movement

Chose your case

Chose your dial, hands, strap...etc.

I also have a website you can look at to see exactly what it is that I do....Just not sure if I should post a link here as it may be frowned upon!

Best regards,

Don

That dial is in wonderful condition and I love the red counting the 5 minute segments as well as the complete 6 in the sub dial, just such a well thought out timekeeping dial.

It's interesting what you say about the cases of that era having provision of a cut out in case a lever set movement is used. My American Watch co. Cased Omega has that very cut out even though it is stem set and wind.

One thin I wish all those Hamilton's had though not practical, is a display back as the finish on them is second to none I feel.

A gorgeous piece,congratulations!