PSchumacker

PSchumacker

I'm trying to repair the pendant setting/winding sleeve/stem in a 16S pocket watch case.  There are 4 pieces to the mechanism:  The stem itself, a spring steel sleeve that slides over the boss when pulling out or pushing in the crown, the crown, and a brass threaded sleeve that screws into the pendant.  I've cleaned the pieces, but can't figure out how to re-attach the spring steel sleeve to the brass threaded sleeve.  I insert the stem/sleeve through the brass sleeve as far as it will go, and screw this assembly into the pendant.  But when I pull on the crown, the stem/sleeve simply pulls out of the case.  I don't see how the steel part of the sleeve attaches to the brass part to prevent this from happening. Before I backed the brass sleeve out of the case, the stem didn't pull out.  Any suggestions?

due to all the variations it would be nice to have a picture. normally you would only have three pieces. The crown, stem and sleeve. the sleeve is supposed to be permanently attached to the brass part that has the threads. Then normally wouldn't disassemble or remove this from the case because the threads eventually get stripped that's very very bad. Also it's used to set the depth stem into the movement. Usually for cleaning all you have to do is remove the crown by holding a stem with a pair of pliers and unscrewing the crown then you can pull the stem into the case. Then for reassembly it doesn't really matter which way you shove it in which ever is easiest. Usually inserting from the outside in works.

Then I don't suppose this is a lever set watch? On some lever set watches the crown will not pull out. Other times it will it just depends on who made the case.