Casio Mw-31 "glass" Cleaning

tcanor

Dear All,

Now comes the second problem :)

The attached material hit the internal part of the watch's glass (which is plastic)

The glass is now not clear (maybe it can be seen in the attached photo). I tired all my best but I was not able to clean it and it is still vage / daze.

Any recommendation how to clean it?

Many thanks for your helpful advice.

post-679-0-62493100-1423475344_thumb.jpg

post-679-0-89847100-1423475347_thumb.jpg

Oh dear, what a mess. There are normally two options if the crystal is marked, replace or polish. In your case it looks like replacement is the way to go.

If the damage is restricted to the outside surface and is bloomed and not melted, you could still try polishing it as you have nothing to lose. This involves rubbing it down evenly with wet or dry paper used by paint spray shops. In your case I would start with 600 grit to remove all the damage. Once that is achieved, use 1000 grit to obtain a blemish free semi Matt surface that looks clear when you wet the crystal. Then polish it with either, fine rubbing compound, Brasso or in my case Solvol Autosol metal polish. This will give you a near perfect finish. Finally buff it applying a fair bit of pressure with a propriotary "silver polishing cloth" to give the as new result.

I polish most of my crystals this way by hand, it does take time, but it's worth it in the end. Remember if you go this route not to catch the edge of the case with the wet or dry or it will make a right mess.

That looks like a chemical reaction with the plastic lens.  I have no idea what cyberslov is, but I'd keep it well away from any watch in the future.  Good old "Sugar Soap" is the best way to clean bands and cases, and glass.

I would recommend seeing your local Casio Dealer.  Complete case replacements aren't that expensive.

Casio price their parts quite reasonably, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Lawson

I second Geo's crystal replacement that shouldn't be either expensive or difficult since it is a round crystal. You may be able to upgrade to mineral glass which I personally prefer and think is more durable. I have never contacted Casio but if the option is available to you, Lawson's suggestion is probably the best to keep the watch as original as possible.

Cheers,

Bob

Have you tried toothpaste ?  Some toothpaste that is a little more grit in could work . Do you have something called autosol ? That is great for polishing plastic crystals .

attachicon.gifbiild11_725.jpg

It's my favourite polish Rogart, I mentioned it in my post above. Thanks for putting up the picture! :)

• Like 1