CYMA 755

Hi everyone,

So here’s my problem hopefully someone can help. Below is a photo of my latest purchase a CYMA 755 military pocket watch from the 1940s, a few issues but nothing a can’t handle however it has a broken 445 Setting Lever Spring (see picture below). I’ve been to the usual places to find a replacement but no luck, so my question is does anyone know where to find one or has anyone had any luck glueing a part like this or even making a new one? Thanks in advance 

5A584A0E-A26B-46FB-B872-DD254FBEE482.jpeg

15C661E5-89E7-40FF-8B7D-E6F6E375DBD0.jpeg

If you're adventurous you can trace the spring out on a piece of spring steel (hacksaw blade is good) and invest in some micro drills, dremel tool(or similar) and good quality files. Use the drill for the two holes and drills+ dremel to get close to the final shape and finish off with files. Dont bother with the thickness (the hacksaw blade will be too thick) as thinning it down will be the final bit once you have the shape right. There may be a chamfer on the screw holes.

You may find the metal hard (it is hardened steel) and you can remove the temper by heating it to red and letting it cool normally. Problem is to get it hardened again.. theory is to heat it red hot and quench it in oil. In my experience its pretty tough to get right but for this piece its not so critical.. The ones I've done have held up so far.

May take a few attempts but with this you are one step closer to being a real watchmaker!.

Anilv 

Edited by anilv
  • Like 1