Spinnaker / SEIKO NH35 movement can't adjust date manually.

Hi all,  I bought a 2nd hand watch by Spinnaker (Seiko movement) a few weeks ago in almost perfect as new condition. 'ALMOST' as i now cannot set the date manually on the 2nd click. The date does turn over at 12PM, and also when you set the time manually, but i cannot change the date manually.

Is this a 'normal' problem and can be remedied ? I did adhere to not changing the date between 9pm-4am..

The crown just turns freely on the 2nd position.

It may have been faulty when i got it, but I am fairly sure i successfully changed the date before.

Any advice or is that function now broken? Thanks

2 hours ago, Jonspinnaker said:

I did adhere to not changing the date between 9pm-4am.

No matter what manual says, you can change the date at any time, because it has protection for that in the form of a flexible finger on the date/day wheel. You can observe that on my video

2 hours ago, Jonspinnaker said:
The crown just turns freely on the 2nd position.

If your watch has a screw down crown, that mame a little bit more difficult to set 1st and 2nd position. Once in the 2nd position it may help turning the crown in both directions to help engage the corrector wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

I seemingly damaged a nh36 movement after finding the date setting resisted my effort. I guess I tried a bit too hard and felt something give and now it too just rotates freely for date setting although works fine for day setting. I had a look and the plastic setting gear is intact. Further inspection revealed the stem does not properly engage the relevant part while turning in one direction. I think the part has rounded off shapes inside it. I found it sort of works if I push the stem in slightly while setting date. Some material is left over to engage with the stem.

Sounds like your problem too.