Smiths Jump Hour - EB 8800 Movement Loose in Case

Hi Everyone,

I'm Steve, an amateur watch repairer from Norfolk [UK] - I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

I purchased this in pieces and have had it running [reasonably well] but after the euphoria of getting it to that point, I'm struggling to get the thing into the case and for the dial to remain in its correct position.  Hopefully the pictures will help tell the story but essentially I can get the movement positioned with the central section of the display showing through the rectangular window [despite the hole for the stem being off-centre] but I'm having difficulty working out how to secure the movement in the case.  The spacer is clearly intended to position the movement relative to the window and the stem hole in the case but the only way I can see to secure the dial/movement relative to the case is the two lugs or spacers which can be rotated around the dial feet.  It's possible to manipulate these but not when the movement is in the case.  The off-centre position of the stem hole and the dial windows/lettering seems strange.  It's also worth mentioning that the hole in the case is quite large, so doesn't help to secure the movement in position when the stem is installed - it's not even close.  The plastic ring can only go one way without pushing the display 'off' relative to the window/crystal.

Has anyone had any experience with something similar to this?

Thanks for reading.

Best Regards.

Steve.

001 (2).jpg

Adjustments.JPEG

Adjustments (2).JPEG

Adjustments (4).JPEG

IMG_1166.JPEG

IMG_1167 (2).JPEG

IMG_1168.JPEG

Hi Steve  welcome to the forum.   You picked a good one there Smiths tech info is rarer than hens teeth  I take it the stem hole is purposely off set.   The rotating pads probably locate in or a friction fit to the case side and the whole thing being clamped in place with the back    Finding any reference material will be difficult unless any member has any.

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Steve  welcome to the forum.   You picked a good one there Smiths tech info is rarer than hens teeth  I take it the stem hole is purposely off set.   The rotating pads probably locate in or a friction fit to the case side and the whole thing being clamped in place with the back    Finding any reference material will be difficult unless any member has any.

Thanks Watchweasol.  In terms of reference material, yes - that would seem to be the case.  Interestingly, the internal diameter of the case is greater closer to the crystal and then 'steps' in as you move closer to the back of the case [you can see this in the fifth photo down], creating a recess.  Naturally, you'd work on the basis that the rotating lugs are designed to clamp in under this ledge and in the recess but because the crystal elevates the position of the dial and movement, there is simply not enough space for the lugs to fit.  I may just have to get the best friction fit possible and leave it at that.

I really don't get the off-set hole...

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Regards.  Steve.

Hi Steve   The off set hole for the stem does.nt seem sensible but there again what is ,  Smiths clocks and watches were set with a few oddities. Not having had the pleasure of the jump dial as yet .  even the clocks do things differntly and again no tech sheets or manuals for them either.       where in Norfolk are you  I have a brother in Hellesdon and another moving to Acle when the pestilence is over.

5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Steve   The off set hole for the stem does.nt seem sensible but there again what is ,  Smiths clocks and watches were set with a few oddities. Not having had the pleasure of the jump dial as yet .  even the clocks do things differntly and again no tech sheets or manuals for them either.       where in Norfolk are you  I have a brother in Hellesdon and another moving to Acle when the pestilence is over.

Hi Watchweasol - Yeah, you just wonder what level of logic passes through their minds when producing these things.  Anyhoo...  I'm in Catton, just down the road from your brother in Hellesdon...  Why don't you give me a shout when you visit him next and you can pop over for a cup of tea, a chat and a perusal of my watch repair lair?

Hi Everyone,

I thought that I'd post a couple of pictures of the watch now cased and running.  The Timegrapher shows a fairly good reading for the movement - it's a little scrappy but will suffice...  There's a fair bit of positional error but again, nothing worth worrying about.  The stem is from another watch and needs to be shortened slightly.  In terms of the fit into the case, I just tried various permutations of the plastic ring and the thin side up seemed to work reasonably well.  Happy to talk to anyone who is refurbishing one of these and runs into issues.

Cheers.

Steve.

IMG_1189.JPEG

IMG_1188.JPEG

• Like 1