Benrus-Dial-O-Matic Problem

spiro13

Hi

I have Dial-O-Rama I am working on. I have the case and crystal off and the split stem removed but the dial still in place. The movement is in the case back. The movement is in tight. I am unsure how the dial is held in place. I don't want to damage the dial if it is held in with dial screws by trying to pry the movement out.
Can someone please tell me how the dial is secured and suggestions on removing the movement from the case back. I attached a picture(not mine) of the point of disassembly but with the crystal removed..

Thank you,

Tony

post-653-0-61398800-1421886590_thumb.jpg

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.

Looking at the picture, the crystal will have to be eased off first. I suggest getting two single sided razor blades, the type with a steel stiffener on one side, and easing them between the case and the bottom of the crystal. Once you have raised the crystal a little using the blades, use a pair off fine screwdrivers or hand lifters, to ease the crystal off completely. With the crystal is removed, you should now be able to remove the movement from the case.

I have not worked on one before, so this is only a suggestion. :-)

It looks as though the stem and crown are still in situ.

Does the stem protrude from the case back through a tube or a slot?

If it's a tube then it is probably a split stem which you will have to separate before the movement comes out similar to some of the Roamer cases.

More pics from different angles, especially the stem might help.

Hi Tony,

I found this pic;

post-73-0-03995900-1422035048_thumb.jpg

on this site;

http://www.crazywatches.pl/benrus-dial-o-rama-direct-read-jump-hour-1957

As you can see the pic shows the dial removed and sitting on a ring.

Just wondering if that is a retaining ring that is either a screw fit or sprung (like a circlip) which keeps the dial in place.

It is an interesting looking watch, would love to see the strip down when you get to it.

No retaining ring then.

By the look of it prying it up gently could be the only option but I can see your concerns about distorting the dial.

I wonder if gently heating the case up would expand it enough to free it sufficiently to lift out.

I finally got the movement out. It appears the dial is a interference fit between the retaining ring and movement. I couldn't see any other way to remove it and continue without the dial being removed. It took a little prying and a lot of nerve but the dial popped off. the retaining ring was in tight due to dirt and corrosion. I used heat as suggested by Marc and the retaining ring came out. After a cleaning I hope the parts go back together more easily. Thank you all for the helpful suggestions.

Tony

post-653-0-19748300-1422122814_thumb.jpg

• Like 1