Have I broken my watch???

sweeney90

Hi there fellow watch people, so I recently set myself a challenge of dissembling & reassembling a mechanical watch so decided to buy a cheap one from my local antique store. The problem occurred almost instantly when I removed the stem. I unscrewed the tiny bolt closet to the stem and gently pulled it out. So being a novice I thought that before I removed any other parts i would reattach the stem so I knew how to remove and and attach as I would have to put it back in later down the road. But when I tried to place it back in it won’t click back in place. It can be moved into position to power the watch or change time but it won’t fit in place properly it’s just free to move in and out and won’t stay in place . I don’t know if it has parts missing but the watch was in working order before i got my hands on it lol I’ve attached some pictures so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading IMG_5299.jpgIMG_5296.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You lost a piece...that screw  you undid to remove the stem attaches  to a lever .it looks something like a horse head and has a nib on each side.. do an image search AS1950  movement. You will  see what  it looks  like. 

Edited by yankeedog

yankeedog is right... the screw you undid to remove the stem, only unscrews so much to release the winding stem. You tend to start with one turn and see if the stem comes out and no more than 1 1/3rd to 1 1/2 turns, because any more will detach from the 'set lever' or as some call it the 'bolt piece' that you are now missing. It would have been still there when you removed the dial, if you removed the dial after turning that screw. If you had the dial off first then the set lever would have fallen onto the table you are working on.