Watch Sensor For Microset 3

altaka

Dear Al,

I have a microset unit and have spoken to Bryan many times.  This unit is okay and may work very well for clocks.  I used it for many years maybe 6-7 but found it lacking for watches.   I currently use a Watch Timing Machine Multifunction Timegrapher 1000  and an very happy with it, but again I work on watches not clocks  I did buy the same expensive clamp you did and just had it upgraded 8 months ago.  I still prefer the timegrapher when doing watch work.  At this point the microset sits on the shelf.   That being said I  think the microset unit can be used for hairspring work which may be helpful in the future if and when I ever start making my own hairsprings.   One other point Bryan makes an accutron adaptor that is very nice. I don’t work on accutrons anymore but when I did it was very useful. 

Hope this summery helps.

Sincerely,

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate your information, at my learning stage I'll do my best with the MS. Next time I'm in Hagerstown MD I'll have my instructor show me what he likes about his Witschi and I'll compare the two.

Al T.

I have spoken to two different watchmakers I know, that have been doing this many years more than me both own a Witschi which is thousands and they both bought a multifunction timegrapher which is about $250.00   both have told me that the multi function is just as nice as the Witschi.  One is the watch guy out of England  he has a blog.   and at less than a 1/4 cost it was very affordable for me.  The biggest problem I had with Bryans unit was I wasn’t able to get readings on watches with thick cases  Seiko diver watches and they seemed to change sometimes after casing..  That was my start of the road to discovery anyhow.  I really like my current unit a lot it does things that Bryans doesn’t   I sound like an advertisement lol   I don’t mean to.   I just want to be helpful if possible.  Like I said I used Bryans unit for a long time I guess ignorance is bliss.   I would never go back now.

Best of luck

The biggest problem I had with Bryans unit was I wasn’t able to get readings on watches with thick cases  Seiko diver watches and they seemed to change sometimes after casing.. 

Sometimes having the crown touch the pickup (the outer sticky uppy part) on the microphone will get you a result.

• Like 1