2836-2 Escapement Gear Won't Stay Seated

mlfloyd1

There is a spike on the pivot end of the gear.  When I peer at the escapement shaft under the bridge, it seems that the seconds wheel keeps it from standing straight when it turns.  It also appears that the escapement shaft ibarely reaches the upper pivot hole which makes it wobble when it is turned by the seconds wheel.

If you have not broken off a pivot, you will will to slacken off the bridge screws and carefully wriggle everything until the bride drops in place. When you think it is all OK, gently tighten the screws a bit at a time while checking that the gear train is still free to turn. Only then tighten the screws fully.

I check that everything is free by using my dust blower to puff air on the perimeter of the escape wheel before the escapement lever and barrel ratchet wheel are fitted. The puff of air should be enough to five the whole gear train if everything is clean and free.

To eliminate issues like this, (if not broken pivot)

i would take the bridge off and remove all the wheels apart from the one causing trouble and see if that fits on it own once screwed in this will aid you in figuring out what the issue is.

Then you can slowly start to add to the gear train.

If the bridge is in properly and your wheel is still "falling out" i would look to the jewels and see if they need to be tweaked to eliminate the endshake (may have been damaged when disassembling etc..)

• 2 weeks later...

I disassembled a separate 2836-2 movement and experienced the same issue.  It has to be a line-up issue.  I went by Mark's video on a 2824 which is similar.

I also went thru three winding gear screws because I could never tighten it down.  I now realize that the threaded hole is stripped.