Replacing roller jewels when combo tool won't fit?

Greetings all. I'm in the process of attempting to replace a roller jewel in a extra-thin Illinois pocket watch, 12s+ grade 439, IIRC. There is very little space to get the jaws of the combination tool onto the roller table to hold and heat it up. I have the hole cleaned out, and even if I do get a tool on it there will be trouble getting shellac on the top of it to start the process. Since I'm pretty sure that the pocket watch combo tools that I have wouldn't work on wrist watches, what do you guys use for this purpose? Do you just replace the whole assembly, table and all? Thanks ahead of time. Cheers.

I'll try to post images a bit later. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Greetings all. I'm in the process of attempting to replace a roller jewel in a extra-thin Illinois pocket watch, 12s+ grade 439, IIRC. There is very little space to get the jaws of the combination tool onto the roller table to hold and heat it up. I have the hole cleaned out, and even if I do get a tool on it there will be trouble getting shellac on the top of it to start the process. Since I'm pretty sure that the pocket watch combo tools that I have wouldn't work on wrist watches, what do you guys use for this purpose? Do you just replace the whole assembly, table and all? Thanks ahead of time. Cheers.
I'll try to post images a bit later. Thanks again.

A heating pan might work where you could heat up the roller table with a shard of shellac and then drop in the jewel. It's indirect heat you are looking for.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk