ETA255.462

Sam79

Hi,

I'm new to watch repair and would be very grateful if someone could help me with a problem I have. I recently bought an ETA255.462 replacement movement but when it came to finding the 12 o'clock position to install the hands, the date doesn't flick or click over, it rolls over. Do some ETA's do this or is there a fault with the mechanism? I wound the crown until the date was centred and then replaced the hour hand to test out the movement. With manual winding, the date starts to change 15 minutes early and is between date numbers at around 5 minutes to the hour.  

I've only ever replaced one previous ETA movement and that flicked over with no problems and was easy to set and install.

It was quite an expensive movement and I've been forensically clean and careful with its handling, so I just can't figure out what's wrong. If anyone can help me, I would be sincerely appreciative. 

Thank you 

Sam

I'm not a wiz on quarts movements but I have noticed they often use some of the same parts as the mechanical ones in the date mechanism. 
Just glancing at the service manual for your watch I notice it doesn't have a date jumper which is odd for me. So this one probably just slides over with the help of the calendar setting wheel. I cant see how its kept in place after the setting wheel rotated it but I'm sure some quarts wiz here has the answer.  
Since it's the wheel rotating the disk it should do it at exact same position every time. 

255462.jpg

Edited by HSL

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hi Dean, The solution with the alum for the broken screw is good and is generally used by watchmakers from many years, but You have to take off ALL steel parts from the plate. In some movements, the post for the minute wheel, for example, is made of steel. Deeping partly the plate works too, but some marks may left on the line where the solution doesn't cover the plate. Heating the solution is needed to accelerate the process. With the years, a rich collection of screws gathers and then finding the needed screw is not a problem. But till then it will be helpfull if You get some assorted screws lot. The other option is making screws. This is usually for the ones with specific form and sizes that doesn't meet often. But the skill of making screws is something that will never be unnecessary
    • Haha yes you do have to reel in your bidding enthusiasm Michael. I use a " not enough time policy " to restrict myself or else known as sniper bidding. Decide what you are most prepared to bid and place it 7 seconds before the end, cross your fingers ,job done . The price paid here i would say was top  figure another day could have been $40
    • The question is did Baum and Mercier use that movement.  I know they used other ebouches. I  can't find any evidence that they didn't but that doesn't mean they didn't. 
    • Well my VARIAC experiment worked sort of. By lowering the input voltage I was able to dramatically lower the magnetic field. However try as I might I was not able to demag either anvil. Even wrapped in bubble wrap to ensure it passed through the opening at equa-distance in the hole, the ends still come out highly magnetized. So time to throw in the towel and move on to purchasing the Chinese Elma-like unit from Amazon (I don’t do Ali express since I can’t return stuff if not satisfied like i can on Amazon).  
    • Yes.. Looks like it is an AS984 Thanks everyone