Grandfather Clock S O S

OldEnglishYankee

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/profile/37

Please can anyone help me? I need to find a set of. Finials for my antique long case clock. The original ones have been lost by the moving / storage company and I need to supply an estimate of the cost for the insurance . Also they have lost the key for the door and the winding handle and therefore I am unable to reassemble the clock and get him running again. I am anxious to sort this out so any advise would be very much appreciated. 

I am attaching a few photos of the clock as it is at present. Sad sight, before the move it was working perfectly. 

Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I can only give advice not an estimate.

What you have here is a Longcase White Dial clock; it is around the 1800’s no later than 1830. The dial has what is called a moon phase dial with an arched calendar window, with second’s hand. It is an 8-day movement with strike, which strikes the hour on a bell. The case looks to be mahogany and in good proportion (it has not been cut down)

Because of what has happened it will alter its value. Many clocks don’t have their original key and the finials go missing, these can be replaced. The main problem is the key; this could be easy or hard. Find a reputable case maker; you never know he or she might just have a key that will fit. If however that fails a replacement lock will be needed. Make sure nothing is altered in finding a replacement, don’t have one with say modern screws it needs to be as near perfect to the one you have.   

Thank you for your reply. I believe the clock to have been made by Benjamin Harlow of Lane End because of the writing on the clock face. It is a bit faded but looks like B Harlow and under that it could say Lane End . When I looked at a Long Case Clocks on various antique dealer's web sites I saw one by Benjamin Harlow which was very similar, same swan neck pediment and  general appearance . The paintings in the corners of the face are different but the moon's face is the same. I am attaching some pictures from before the move (the camera date is incorrect on photos, these were taken 2014 ) . So please let me know if you agree. 

I took these to show condition of the clock before the movers collected and put in storage. The key is in the door and the finials were wrapped up and lying on top as modern houses just don't have high enough ceilings! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg