Seiko 6A32A setting issue

I recently took in some watches from a friend of my son's father, one of them is a Seiko 6A32A quartz. I notice straight away that the stem would not engage setting functions, date and time, per "standard" Seiko instructions. I got the tech sheet and after lightly polishing and cleaning entire watch, I noticed that when I returned stem to movement, it now does not set date. I examined the "push" to remove stem, it appeared the part was bent or I may have bent it removing stem, which I don't think I did. (i.e. it did not move when I replaced stem). There are replaceable parts, winding stem lever switch and winding stem lever spring listed on tech sheet.  Since watch didn't function as designed when I got it, (which I explained to him) I'm not concerned that this guy won't fuss about it. If I remove last screw that holds down circuit block, I should be able to determine if part is bent and maybe get it back in shape, (Seiko has some durability in certain quartz parts from my experience) and may be able to bend back to original shape.  Also, I don't want to take this down any lower on the bridge without creating a nightmare for something that may be simpler solution. For $50 usd I can get a brand new movement, but I would not charge owner unless he decides he wants a brand new watch by swapping out something that can't easily be fixed.

My question is: Has anyone experienced the same situation on similar movement and is there something else I should be looking at.

Thanks! Dave

UPDATE: Just got off phone call with owner, he admitted watch was dropped a significant distance. At least he was honest! Most folks wouldn't admit to dropping a watch. Still need some feedback on next steps. Thanks again all!