A Rather Specific Issue With 6497 Case Screws

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for the YouTube videos. Great to see and learn about the movements you cover.

I've just installed a 6497 into a 40mm case from Ofrei.

- Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidgsteadman/sets/72157645045616955/

I picked this specific case because its far more wearable then a lot of the other 6497 cases, which end up around 44mm. The downside is that the movement is clamped in place by wedging the case screws against the case back.

The Ofrei people explain this in the YouTube video on their product page.

- Watch Case #10: http://www.ofrei.com/page1494.html

- YouTube Clip: 

The case screws which came with my Ebay-Asian movement (I'll buy a Swiss version once I'm past the learning/braking stuff stage) were 3mm long (2mm thread), which wasn't enough to reach the back of the case. Consequently, it has a less than desirable rattle to it.

My question is: How do I fix this?

Ofrei does sell the case screws on this page: http://www.ofrei.com/page1418.html, but is it long enough? I have no idea if I'll be buying another 3mm screw.

In the YouTube video, they talk about "the long case screws", but I've not seen any differentiation. Is this something which comes with an ETA, but not the cheaper Asian movements?

So the second question becomes. Does anyone have detailed-enough information on the 6497 movement, which would include something on the diameters/threads I would need to maybe source a different screw that would be long enough?

Thanks for your time.

It's impossible to tell from the Ofrei page whether these screws will fit your requirements or not - as you say.

Might it be possible to get screws of the same diameter/thread pattern, but longer - and then possibly cut them down to suit?

I have an Asian 6497 movement which I fitted into a 44m case (bought from Hong Kong) and everything went in fine, so perhaps your Ofrei case, although it's a more convenient size, just isn't as accommodating as the standard sized ones. Ofrei won't sell overseas, except in bulk, so I've no experience with their products.

I have to say that I don't particularly like the concept of the case back wedging the movement against the case body...

Edited by WillFly

I have to say that I don't particularly like the concept of the case back wedging the movement against the case body...

That's exactly what I thought when I read this first Will. It would be interesting to hear Don's (DJW) take on this as he built many watches along these lines.

I do like the look of the watch though!

Welcome to the forum Dave, I hope you enjoy it here.

Dave where did you get that crown from? the stem is a 2mm thread and my mineral houses only have large chunky pocket watch type crowns, I was going to re-thread the stem I'm using on a similar build?

Thanks for the replies. At least its confirmation that I'm not getting stuck on a trivial/easily solvable issue.

I had no idea Ofrei had shipping issues, I'm waiting on a second delivery from them right now. You have to pay through the nose for the international postage, but I take that as just part of the deal with hunting around for specific parts.

I agree that wedging the movement in is an awkward aspect of the case, but I like the fact that there's no wasted space in there.

The crown came with the case. The Ofrei website is generally tough to navigate, I'm constantly finding new pages and parts I've not seen before. A quick Google just threw up http://www.ofrei.com/page523.html which may list a suitable crown individually.

• Like 1

Dave, I'm in the same class. I've dealt with Bob Frei over the phone and they are most helpful. Have you asked them about the screws? Their email takes time but if you say you are a student, they give you red carpet if you know what I mean, more patience, explanations, etc. I would not hesitate to ask even if I don't buy anything from them. By the way I've got all the movements from ebay too. Lately I've found the student's forum there a little slow thou.

Happy watchmaking,

Robert