Oiling a 6497 with auto oilers

AP1875

So, ive taken a few movements apart (6497,2836,2824,2892) and assembled them around 10 times each. I've learnt so much over the last month, there have lows such as forgetting to take enough photos whilst dismantling and sitting for hours completely frustrated at how i took the damn thing apart and not to mention crawling through my carpet trying to find screws and springs! But the feeling when it all comes together and the balance is finally seated correctly and the movement springs to life is amazing.

So, i thought id progress to the next stage and start oiling. I have bought some oils recommended as a basic kit to start out - mobius D5, 9010, 9501 and 9415 and i also have a set of auto oilers Bergeon 7718-1a, 7719-2a and 7720-5

I just wanted to run the oiling technique past you guys. So for example using the 7720-5 oiler with D5 i should approach the centre wheel pivot with the needle out, gently hover over the jewel making a very slight contact and retract the needle? One drop should be enough?

I haven't manage to find a tutorial to actually using the auto oilers (maybe it's completely obvious) so just wanted to check.

Thanks,

Sorry AP,

I don't use auto oilers. The regular ones (I use Bergeon all right), are all I need for that size and even smaller size movements. Since I observe carefully and under the lens the amount of oil I am taking in the oiler, an automatic one seems to be in my way. Of course, they are supposed to be more consistent but I can't simply get myself to "trust" them....or spend that kind of money...

Cheers,

Bob

PS. It is said that one single drop of oil should be enough for the whole watch!

• Like 3

Auto oilers take a little practice to get comfortable with them, I only use two, one with 9010 and the other HP1300, if I was to use D5 I'd apply that the old fashioned way with an oiler, I do find it a bit thin tho and it can be a little messy looking if it spreads, I tend to use a Rolex grease MR4 in its place.

Be real careful with amounts of oil on your needle, important to be in control of this, you can vary the oil amount by limiting the travel of the needle into the reservoir by adjusting the eccentric screw, also by the speed you do it, slowly will give you lots and fast will give you less, once you get the hang of them they do increase your oiling and servicing speed as you can lubricate numerous oiling points at one go, takes a little practice tho so take your time and begin slowly and carefully.

Remember at all times to work cleanly, this is probably the best advice I could give you as your overhaul has your signature on it, be proud of it!

Good luck and I hope this helps you a little, let me know how you get on.

• Like 4

Auto oilers take a little practice to get comfortable with them, I only use two, one with 9010 and the other HP1300, if I was to use D5 I'd apply that the old fashioned way with an oiler, I do find it a bit thin tho and it can be a little messy looking if it spreads, I tend to use a Rolex grease MR4 in its place.

Be real careful with amounts of oil on your needle, important to be in control of this, you can vary the oil amount by limiting the travel of the needle into the reservoir by adjusting the eccentric screw, also by the speed you do it, slowly will give you lots and fast will give you less, once you get the hang of them they do increase your oiling and servicing speed as you can lubricate numerous oiling points at one go, takes a little practice tho so take your time and begin slowly and carefully.

Remember at all times to work cleanly, this is probably the best advice I could give you as your overhaul has your signature on it, be proud of it!

Good luck and I hope this helps you a little, let me know how you get on.

Thank you very much Brian for sharing this. I oiled my second movement today following what you have said here. You're right, with the D5 you have to be really careful as it's messy, I have turned the screw to reduce the amount drawn to the needle.
I have realised I don't think I can totally rely on auto oilers. 9010 works well though as you already said, which oiler are you using?

One problem I have is I own 3, all for different purposes so if I have all 3 loaded and I need to use another type, it's a real pain to swap them over. I have ordered a cheap set of AF oilers to compliment them.

Also, using something like 941 just doesn't work, unless I'm doing something wrong, it's too thick to draw from the cylinder.

Auto oilers can be helpful but not ideal for every oiling situation, sometimes you need to use a simple oiler for a task, try not to rely on them too much.

Brian

Yeah I can totally agree with this now. Before I started buying tools I kept on reading 'don't buy cheap stuff, you'll end up buying twice replacing will quality' etc etc

I bought a basic set of tools and all the Chinese stuff was terrible so I was so annoyed I'd not just bought decent stuff in the first place as advised. Now I think I've gone too far the other way. Hopefully I'll find a happy middle ground. I guess if I look after them they'll last forever or there's always eBay for the ones I don't need.
  • Like 4

On 9/18/2016 at 6:55 PM, AP1875 said:

Yeah I can totally agree with this now. Before I started buying tools I kept on reading 'don't buy cheap stuff, you'll end up buying twice replacing will quality' etc etc

I bought a basic set of tools and all the Chinese stuff was terrible so I was so annoyed I'd not just bought decent stuff in the first place as advised. Now I think I've gone too far the other way. Hopefully I'll find a happy middle ground. I guess if I look after them they'll last forever or there's always eBay for the ones I don't need.

Tell me about it!  We all have done it, mostly because we don't want to appear stupid and ask what we think are amateur questions. These folks are all very patient and non judgemental. 

I hope that in the future I will be able to give back, by helping other lost souls>

Edited by TimFitz
  • Like 1

Tell me about it!  We all have done it, mostly because we don't want to appear stupid and ask what we think are amateur questions. These folks are all very patient and non judgemental. 

I hope that in the future I will be able to give back, by helping other lost souls>

Totally agree, I am a member of a few forums for the different interests I have and this is definitely one of the best. The experienced members here prove there worth by sharing their invaluable knowledge not by belittling new members, unlike some forums I have been on. There is a very good atmosphere here from what I have experienced so far.
  • Like 1

It only gets better AP, we don't make fun of cheap tool, only cheap and Chinese!:D Just kidding! Some Chinese tools are not cheap and some cheap tools are not bad and....OH Gosh! did I make it worst?! :D

Now, seriously, some of us --- me for example --- started using sub standard tools and at some point, -- because we learned how to dress/prepare them -- became "proficient" with them...until this special watch/movement/task came along.

Then we felt the need for something better and learned the difference between the quality stuff and what we used to have. At that point, and I'm talking more about my experience, we became obsessed with buying only quality tools...bad news for the wallet and the wife!

Then, there came a period of "temperance" where you, having more quality stuff than what you really need, weight your needs vs. wants...and reach a middle ground. I suppose, in the end, the whole thing repeats itself when you progress one more step from where you are...since we are all perfectionists but perfection is hard to achieve: how many times we reach our goal to realize there is still more to it, another dimension or degree to achieve, and set ourselves a new goal, quality speaking! It all comes with the knowledge and experience gained through previous work.

My recommendation to everyone is, if you have too much quality stuff, keep it even if you don't see an application at this point. If your equipment is not quite there, make a plan to upgrade according to budget, work and other factors...dictated mainly by the ease of use and quality of the work you are doing or trying to achieve....In my mind, there is no joy keeping a hobby you do not enjoy because your tools do not let you enjoy it. OH well, this last part came out weird but you guys can figure it out! :)

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1