Crown Help

Pablo

Hello, the crown on my inexpensive mechanical watch no longer adjusts the hands or date, I have attached 2 photos of the inside

I have tried removing and the crown and replacing sometimes the Crown will suddenly catch as you turn it clockwise

and move the hands slightly but that is all any advice much appreciated

pablo

post-1962-0-22563800-1458740730_thumb.jp

It looks like a Chinese clone to me. Most likely you need to check the keyless works for parts out of place, broken or worn...and btw, Welcome aboard!

Tell us about your experience working with watches so I can be more accurate.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob no experience of working with watches, was hoping to find a video on youtube and came across Daves forum,

have always enjoyed tinkering with things over the years and have plenty of patience and small precision tools.

Took it to a place here in Liverpool told it would have to be sent away and no guarantees. Watch belonged to a relative sentimental value.

I believe it is a chineese clone. Worked fine until young relative wound it up.still keeps time, but cant change the hands or date, crown just turns.

many thanks for the reply

Pablo

In that case, Pablo, you need to know that you have to take the movement out of the case, remove the hands and the dial and check (maybe even remove everything in your way for the check, date rings and stuff like that). Then you will have an idea of what is not engaging when the crown is pulled into hour changing mode. Be careful since everything you are touching is bound to be scratched and is delicate. Even though the balance wheel and its hairspring is on the side you will not be working with it may get damaged if the movement is handled improperly (I would remove it, first the rotating weight and then the balance assembly, carefully). In the end, it all boils down to put everything back together...there is a tick for you to do! :)

In my mind, it is better to send so someone with experience in watchmaking.

Cheers,

Bob