Couple Of Heirloom Watches (Help Required)

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to fixing watches, as I have been at it for a month, so I figured I'd show you guys what I have and you might be able to help me. 

The first watch I have is an Illinois railroad watch. It is a key wind and works really well. Just had it serviced and it runs like a train for sure. post-1885-0-78592200-1456930269_thumb.jppost-1885-0-58576000-1456930371_thumb.jp

The second watch I have is in disrepair and I am trying to get it working for my Grandmother. From what I have found written on it, it is a Gotham Hebdomas-style stem wind watch. It says swiss made on the spring barrel and the words Wyss Freres appear on the barrel and case. I have attached pictures of the face and spring barrel. post-1885-0-63971600-1456931178_thumb.jp

I am trying to either hunt down parts for it, or find out the measurements so I can machine them. The watch has been in water at some point. I have cleaned out a lot of rust. Most of it is surface scale that is easily removed. The gears appear to be fine. I will be able to further inspect the jewels once I get my magnifying glasses in the mail in a few days. 

The watch kept good time as long as it was not picked up, but when I opened the thing, I noticed there was no oil whatsoever, so I figure that's why it would stop intermittently. The parts I absolutely need are related to the mainspring. The screw that held the spring barrel on in the center rusted and broke off in the spindle  (or arbor, not sure on the terminology). I cannot remove the threaded part of that screw because it broke flush with the top of the spindle and its really tiny. I have attached a picture of what I am talking about here. post-1885-0-38221100-1456930891_thumb.jp

If I could find out what kind of thread they are, I might be able to make a replacement screw and spindle, or if I can find the actual parts all the better. I also need to find a new overwind-prevention spring ring to go in the barrel as it is broken. The mainspring has fatigue at its fastening points as well, so it could do to be replaced. 

I apologize if I went too much into this here. If you come across this thread and can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. 

Have a great day

It may be better to re post this query in the help and advice forum to get a few more eyes on it, however:-

I know that with some watches the barrel screws are a left hand thread, this leads to the loss of screw heads sometimes as people are actually tightening not slackening the screw but I dont know whether that is applicable in this case.  Is that a .5 mm screwdriver or 1mm screwdriver and it would be useful to see what it looks like from the other side as well just for ideas but it seems possible.  There are a few people on the forum who will probably chip in.

I have little knowledge on the Gotham Brand but a quick look on some sites has suggested that the movements are ETA based ebauches and the name was owned by the Ollendorff Watch Company, New York.  Otto Frei currently stock a few used parts for Gotham watches and you could look there for spares.

Cheers,

Vic

It may be better to re post this query in the help and advice forum to get a few more eyes on it, however:-

Cheers,

Vic

Good suggestion Vic, I missed that.

Now done! :)

Ok, I'll post this in the help section.

The threads on the bottom of the spindle are left handed and in good condition. That is a 1 mm screwdriver. Pretty darn tiny. 

Over-tightening could very well have been a problem, I have no idea the last time this watch was worked on. It hasn't worked as long as it was in my Grandma's possession. The steel set screws and fasteners on the outer extremities of the movement are pretty rusty. The winding stem and it's gears are rusty too. I have scrubbed most of the rust off of the case. I need to get some pipe cleaners to scrub the hole in the case for the stem. I'll post this stuff in the help section too. Look forward to your insight.