Learning Curve

Hi,

Just when you think that things are beginning to go a little more smooth , up pop the gremlins to let you know what you don't know.

I had the need to try my hand at silver soldering this week. I practised first on some scrap and after a few attempts and adjustments  I felt ready to try the real thing (with some trepidation i may add).

It turned out not to bad although possibly could have done with a little more solder in the joint . I deliberately kept it neat because i didn't want solder running all over the place. 

Anyway ,, the problem i have is with the flux. I used Borax, and an Easy grade of silver solder. When the job had cooled down the remaining flux had gone like glass and is really difficult to remove . 

The question is ,, does anyone know of a good way to remove this Glass/Borax other than chipping away at it and the subsequent buffing and polishing that will need to follow.

Regards 

Jeff 

Carpioboy

Hi Geo,

I will sure give that a try.  No idea what that will do to the hair spring ?   (just joking) 

Seriously , i did think of water but the nature of the Borax had changed so much after heating that i didn't think it would work. Anyway ill try it and that's what i meant about finding out what you don't know. Seems its a lot .LOL.

Thanks 

Regards 

Jeff