I Think I Might Try This....opinions?

as i've been rummaging through some of the different watch categories on fleabay, i've noticed a lot of (mostly chinese, i believe) manufacturers that make components for building a watch. the cases look much like the watches they're meant to copy. i just don't know about fit and finish on them. the same thing applies to the bracelets. everything LOOKS good, but how deep does the quality go? are there any opinions from you members on this - especially those who have experience with building their own watch.

i think the neat thing is that all of the different cases are made for various types of movements - either swiss or their chinese clones. but the choice of watch types is numerous. you can make a dress watch, diver, flieger, or chrono, just to name a few. and you can use different movements for each type. i'm leaning towards a flieger because i like the way they look and i like larger watches in general.

the next choice would be which movement to use - swiss or clone. i'm interested in which way you guys would go.

i figure it's almost impossible to get say, a laco, or a hamilton khaki or a whole list of high end divers without mortgaging the house. but a manufactured set of components is the next best thing to my hands on one.

i've followed a few members here as they've built their watches, and i thought it might be a nice thing to try.  it's great to have choices in our hobby.

Hi ramrod,

As you said the choices are endless! It all depends on your budget and your choice. In my mind, making a whole watch is as easier or harder than service a movement. Let me explain, if you have a brand new movement ready to use -- either Chinese or somewhere else -- it is a matter of choosing the rest of the components and the whole thing is easy. If the movement is new but not ready to use or used, then you need to go through the whole project of fixing the movement and then put together everything to come up with your choice of watch, that's the "hard" way. Either way is fun and your imagination -- and budget -- is the sky.

Make sure that the case and movement match, that's all...unless you have a means to modify the case to fit the movement. Some Chinese cases and dials are better than others but quality is kind of the same and to the untrained eye they fit the bill. They also look good/convincing after a little elbow grease (ofrei doesn't carry that one :) ) Other manufacturers are more expensive which in the end it may very well amount to buy the real thing...only you will be missing the fun.

Cheers,

Bob

just about all of the cases i've seen pretty much call out what movement it was made for. i'm hoping that (as you brought out) the machining has been done sufficiently to fit said movement. i gotta believe that the (usually) supplied movement specific holder will do the trick. or is it the movement holder that is the key? are all of the cases made the same and the movement holders are different? does the seller ask you what movement you'll be using and then supplies the correct holder?

yeah - budget. i'm sure that it could get out of hand and then you'd be better off getting an original.

lots to think about for sure. meanwhile, i'll be gathering up some info on just who and what i want to use for parts.

Yeah, cases are made to fit certain movements and as you so rightly said, they specify it within their advertisement. One thing you'll notice is that, although the previous statement is true, some movements may need additional holding solutions to really fit properly. An example is the "panerai" case for the ETA 6498/97 which I've found, in most cases, will need a ring to make it fit properly and that is rarely supplied. Sometimes the "clamps" supplied are fine...

ok. good to know. and along that line, i just received in the mail a case, dial, strap and movement holder for an ETA 2824-2. i have one with a hopelessly mangled hairspring and i might try to fit it up just to see what the story is. problem is: it's in a beautiful bulova watch that i'll probably never wear. i'm torn as to what to do.

You say the hairspring of you ETA 2824-2 is mangled and that the movement is inside a Bulova, is that correct? Then, I'd take out the movement and try it anyway if you want to make sure it fits the new case, then I'll order a balance complete from ofrei...I could go ahead and order the more expensive chronometer grade one :devil:  and maybe even service the movement and put it back into the Bulova. Then, I'll get some ETA 2840 or 2842 that you can find in plastic Swatch vintage watches (I made a walk through about servicing it but never "put it back together" -- I will with time) and fit it in the new case after servicing it...that's the inexpensive option, another option is to buy a new: ETA 2824-2, Selllita, Chinese or equivalent or simply stick a Citizen 8200 (I've never tried this one but I've heard it can be done) in the new case...The clones will accept the hands for the ETA, the Citizen probably won't...Bottom line, if you have an exhibition back on the case, whatever you put in it will show...if you remove your watch from your wrist, otherwise, who would know?! You can make that watch look anything you want! Then wear it proudly! :)

Building your own from case, movement, dial, hands and strap is great fun - and easy and cheap if you're content to go the Hong Kong route! I did my own a couple of years ago, using a Chinese 6497 movement. Details here:

http://www.willswatchpages.com/custom-6497.html

It wasn't all straightforward. The seconds subdial part of the dial didn't quite match up with the second hand pinion on the movement and a tiny bit of surgery was required. The screws on the case back didn't all sit straight in the screw holes - a little surgery was required there as well. But it looks OK, keeps good time and cost me about £100.

• Like 2

bob - i had an entire reply to your post but it didn't show up after i sent it.

so, swatch plastic watches had ETA 2824's in them? i didn't realize that. it's good to know.

and i did try the bulova movement last night, but it was late so i didn't remove the hands and dial. it looks very much like it will fit. gonna give 'er a go today.

i've heard of the citizen route, but the downside would be the hands fitment - and therefore it limits the hands that you could use. that's a bummer because they are out there by the millions - and cheap, too.

which leads me to another thought. i don't know why these kit manufacturers wouldn't use a movement that is VERY popular and cheap. any seiko movement would do. the popularity and availability of seiko movements, coupled with the fact that the hand hole sizes are all the same across almost all of the autos, would really make it easy to build your own.

will - that is a sharp looking flieger. and i love that the case is a screw back - with SCREWS! very cool.

that's exactly what i want to do. it's a great looking movement also.

so, the dial needed to have the sub dial hole enlarged to fit the hand?

Hi ramrod,

No, the ETA is the 2840 or 2842 which is a modified 2824 for Swatch watches...it is almost the same deal since most 2824 parts fit. Also you have the ETA 2846 (if I'm not mistaken) which is another, 2824 version...all in the same family. You shouldn't have too many issues fitting one of those in place of a 2824 I think. Now, consider that some have less bit/sec and not such a good finish in comparison...they are supposed to be lesser movements so to speak. Check out ramfft.

Cheers,

Bob

will - that is a sharp looking flieger. and i love that the case is a screw back - with SCREWS! very cool.

that's exactly what i want to do. it's a great looking movement also.

so, the dial needed to have the sub dial hole enlarged to fit the hand?

Yes - ever so slightly - just to fit comfortably over the pinion. I think it demonstrates the difference between the Chinese engineering and the Swiss at a certain level. There's slightly less accuracy and finish in the Chinese stuff - certainly less than Swiss parts - but you get what you pay for. And the movement, in particular, seems reasonably well made. How long it will last, I don't know, because I only wear it now and then!

It was a fun project, though.

Hi ramrod,

No, the ETA is the 2840 or 2842 which is a modified 2824 for Swatch watches...it is almost the same deal since most 2824 parts fit. Also you have the ETA 2846 (if I'm not mistaken) which is another, 2824 version...all in the same family. You shouldn't have too many issues fitting one of those in place of a 2824 I think. Now, consider that some have less bit/sec and not such a good finish in comparison...they are supposed to be lesser movements so to speak. Check out ramfft.

Cheers,

Bob

so it looks like the ETA 28xx series is interchangeable size wise, for the most part. it makes me wonder why the 2824 is pushed so hard - well, i mean it seems to be the "one" to use.

willfly - great website. i oughtta get with it and photograph all of my watches just to have them catalogued..

Hi,

That looks like a real nice watch will. Do you have any more photos of the build and details etc .

I have never tried to put together a watch from bought parts but the idea intrigues me . Might be the only way that i could ever get a watch 100% right because no one could say it was wrong hehehe.

Regards 

Jeff 

Hi Will,

Thank you for the link . I found it very interesting . Looks like a good project for the future , just need to get my financial controllers permission.

I have not yet perused the Asian sites for parts ,  Do you just come across them or are there specific links ?

Kind Regards 

Jeff