Van Der Gang 20010 Help

bbabear01

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and in need of a bit of assistance.  I have been a Watch Repair Channel subscriber for years now, but never really needed assistance before as I do not repair my own watches, nor have I ever tried before. 

I recently took my Van Der Gang 20010 into my local watch repairman, of whom I have known for about a year and has repaired many of my lower end watches.  I took him my Van Der Gang as I tried contacting Van Der Gang through email for weeks with no return emails.  I was going to send it to them for service, but seeing as I did not receive a return email I chose to take it to him for service as it was showing signs of very dry lubrication. 

I went in to pick it up on the guaranteed date for it to be done.  I went in and he said that it wasn't ready yet.  He was very sorry, but he hit a snag that he was trying to sort out, and apparently figures that the watch company does this so you will only service the watch through them.  The watch has a second time zone dial with actuating button to select the time you wish to have.  He states that that button is not accessible from the back of the movement.  And of course in order to remove the movement he must remove this button.  He is afraid the only access to the buttons release is from the front of the watch and he is not able to remove the front crystal in order to get to it.

This is what I understand from what he has stated.  He is French, speaks English fluently, but as to what he was saying I'm not sure I was 100% accurate on what he was trying to achieve in telling me what issue he was having.

If anyone has any ideas or that can help me understand this, or possibly have a good solution to this issue that I may relay to him on what might work I would greatly appreciate it.  Going for more time without this watch is becoming frustrating as I do love it and wish to have it back.

Thank you in advance for any ideas or solutions that you might have.

Scott

Welcome to the forum Scott. I wouldn't have any suggestions so far since I haven't worked on that movement yet. Also, if as you say, the movement has been tweaked in house and fitted to their own case, I believe a picture would help those members able to help you. All I can say at this moment is that it is a straight forward ETA (popular) movement but a finicky one that requires experience and know how to work on it or so I've heard.

I hope everything turns for the best in the end.

Cheers,

Bob