Latest Project: Tissot Automatic

Hi,

This watch arrived today which I picked up on Feebay for about $35 US inc post. Not sure if overpaid or underpaid but I really just got it because it looked nice, looked like it had potential and it sounded like a nice one to tinker with.

The stem has come lose and needs tightening, and the back doesn't stay on tightly and likes to pop off. The rotor movement seems a little stiff too, but that might be how it should be? Other than that it seems okay and keeps decent time when wound. I did remove that large chunk of debris sitting on the rotor in the picture however that, the less than pristine appearance and the fact the back has been lose may mean it has been open alot and there may be- who knows what floating around in there. In any event it would benefit from a good clean, etc.

I'm not sure how I'd go about trying to get the back to stay on securely other than trying a very carefully applied amount of Loctite.

The year of the watch I cannot determine, being unsure of what the different numbers on it mean. My scant knowledge suggests 50's.

Any info, comments or advice welcome.

post-1547-0-04530300-1448339723_thumb.jp

post-1547-0-37339700-1448339735_thumb.jp

post-1547-0-38795400-1448339751_thumb.jp

post-1547-0-29314100-1448339782_thumb.jp

Please, no locktite Kees! It will wreak any sensitive part with the fumes (dial, hands, etc)

The watch needs servicing and hopefully the back will have to be pressed in (you need a press). Or it is damaged either itself or the case where it should fit...I don't have a solution for that, sorry. I love Tissots an at some point someone mentioned they were related to the Omegas...I don't know about that part but again, I'm very partial to them and if I don't have the expertise I'd rather send it to a professional.

A good movement to practice, learn and/or try your hand at, is an ETA 6498 or its 6497 version (mostly the Unitas 6498 found in pocket watches), They have documentation, parts and most everyone can give you pointers or whole tutorials on how to do stuff with them. The lack the automatic complication so you are dealing with a big and pure mechanism...it is ideal. And did I mention that whatever fails can be easily sourced and replaced?

Cases, straps, everything is available for them. Check this out:

Rebuild movement from a non runner pocket watch and "enhanced" with new blue screws (case and strap sourced from ebay)

post-253-0-55349100-1448341807_thumb.jpg

Face and hands also sourced from ebay and others.

post-253-0-15108000-1448341804_thumb.jpg

So there you have it, the perfect learning movement and a joy to wear!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

A very nice pickup from the bay.

First, I'd suggest the caseback doesn't fit properly due to a huge build-up of CRUD.

Second, the movement has so much Omega DNA that it's easy to understand that the two companies were onece related, and are again under the Swatch umbrella.

The movement will also have accumulated years of moisture, dust (grit) and various other bits of crud that means it will need a good strip to bare bones, clean, assemble and test/regulate.

If you have the skills, go for it.

If you don't find a trusty local watchmaker (not the guy in the booth at the mall) and get it serviced

This lovely Tissot bumper movement and its comely dial need to be made beautiful again.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

Kees, that is a rally nice watch and also a bargain, have a look at the cost of an Omega example and you will see what I mean! I agree with all that Jim has said, especially the reference to the Omega lineage. These bumpers are very good movements and well worth restoring properly. They are also very accurate watches when serviced and adjusted correctly.

Have a read of this thread and it will give you an idea of what is required to service it. http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/1800-omega-bumper-automatic-344-movement-walkthrough/?hl=%2Bomega+%2Bbumper