Hello from Montreal

Hello,

I am French and Canadian, based in Montreal for 11 years now. I am a watch addict, specially vintage watches or watches with an history. I have always been fascinated by the ingenuity of watch movements and I have decided recently to learn more about them by taking Mark's courses on watchfix.com

I will certainly learn a lot from you all, I am therefore looking forward to participating in this forum.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• 😄 i wasn't being serious Rich, as cheap as it was and I've not actually finished with it yet, the drill stand needs a wooden base attaching and the whole thing spinning around so there is more height available for some deeper better square ribbed jars that should provide a bit more agitation. Yep as cheap as it is i would put it against any basic machine, its only one way so i have to find other ways to ramp up the turbulence, but i can't fault the finished cleaning results at all, especially with the switch to a parafin clean , hell that stuff lifts dirt like nobody's business. 
    • I really don't want to be responsible for any damage to the watch but the screws could be under the bezel spring. 
    • The mystery has been solved.  Geotex was correct.  As I had mentioned, I had ordered a bezel removal tool to see if that would work.  While I was attempting to remove the bezel, the already cracked crystal cracked some more and fell off.  As I was shaking out the loose pieces from the dial, the dial tipped and came halfway out of the crystal opening, stopped only by the split stem still being place.  At that point  I decided to fully commit to the side-cutting plier approach to popping off the crown and stem.  One good firm prying move and it came right off.   see attached pics.  That was last night.  The watch is now fixed and awaiting a new crystal and band.  The case is in fact, a one piece case.   The crumbling crystal revealed a near perfect beautiful dial.  I’m keeping this one.  Thank you to ALL for you time and advice!
    • Attached are images of the watch from various angles. I’m still interested in unraveling the mystery of how the case back is opened, although I probably won’t attempt it any time soon.   The little bent metal under the bezel is I believe part of the mechanism for the unidirectional winding bezel. Perhaps that can be pulled off somehow to reveal screws below, but it’s hard for me to imagine that removing that metal ring is the way to open the watch. That metal ring doesn’t look like it’s meant to be removed in a regular service.   the other images show that there are gaps between the case back and the case. I do suspect it needs to be rotated to come off, but I’m not adventurous enough to attempt trail an error on this watch.
    • Have you got photos with the bezel off, I  totally agree about not spoiling such a watch but I would like to know how the back is removed.