Milber Dial Paint. Is it Radioactive? Is it safe?

Hello y'all,

I have a quick question regarding this little beater. Does this seem radioactive to you?

IMG_7052.thumb.jpg.edb87b349e69759d1ae67f73594273e8.jpg

As you can see, the lettering on the logo and some description of the watches movement were brushed off by one of my water dipped q-tips. I had no idea it was that sensitive, and it also makes me think that this dial is super old.

Is it possible that it's radioactive? If its only a little, then I'm ok with that. But I'm not sure. I think it's fairly possible that this watch predates the 1960's when radium was not known to be bad. 

Feel free to bash me for the dial cleaning job or let me know if it's safe or not. 

Thank you,

-Matt 

If it is, the hazard is not the radioactivity, but the material itself if ingested.

As it was washed off, it's unlikely there would be any free dust particles from it. Just dispose of the cleaning materials and wipe down the work area to get rid of any stray particles,

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hello,  I'll do the cleaning and some assembly today. Hopefully, I'll upload some pics later today.  I have two questions: 1. lubrication of the "driving gear assembly for ratchet wheel"  The manual only prescribes lubricating the clicks and the pinion with grease (and the pivots of course): But this guy also lubricates another point (https://youtu.be/LmHqj5RMXqk?si=Mg5D7U0DEt_xf_MK)    What do you think?    2. Cleaning and lubrication of rotor ball bearings. From the service guide: a. Would you follow this cleaning approach instead of my usual L&R No111 (ammoniates watch cleaning solution) and L&R No3 (watch rinsing solution, two cycles)?  b. Would you use Moebius 941 for the balls?? First time I see this in a manual? Normally, I'd either use 9010 or Lubeta V106. What do you think? 
    • I've been working on an AS 1187, recently cleaned and lubricated it but no matter what I do, the rate is too high. In the attached photos the movement has the mainspring it came with, and it's older, but I have gotten similar results on the timegrapher when I put in a newer mainspring I got from Otto Frei, MS -711K. Here's what I've done thus far to no avail: After cleaning the entire movement I cleaned the balance assembly in One-Dip  End shake seems pretty good from what I can tell, but I'm not very experienced at making those determinations Banking pins look fine Checked where hairspring is running between the boot and curb pin. Seems fine. Curb pin seems fine (straight) Inspected all jewels on bridges, pallet fork, etc. All look good. What else should I do? Thanks!
    • Its based on Seiko 7001,   go on to    alldatasheet.com .  I think its a combined set mech. You likely to have knock the set lever out of whack. Rgds    
    • Welcome to the WRT forum.
    • More photos of watch for reference.