Is this safe to use?

4 hours ago, gpraceman said:

I don't see any diodes.  I see one large resistor and a couple of selenium rectifiers.

A rectifier is a diode.

4 hours ago, gpraceman said:

A power LED would be nice, but that would take away from the original look.

I bought a pack of inline switches that have an LED indicator. That is the way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/mankk-Appliance-Control-Indicator-GW320-W/dp/B09B9MBXWP/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=2PC4R7VJU9WHJ&keywords=ac+inline+switch&qid=1703330473&sprefix=ac+inline%2Caps%2C290&sr=8-5

Edited by LittleWatchShop

5 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

A rectifier is a diode.

Ah.  From what I had been reading it does seem like those should be replaced.

The switch sticks in the down position, so that may also get replaced.  Seems just like a two position switch, so a momentary on SPST switch would do.  I see the capacitors rated up to 600V but not sure the voltage that the switch actually sees.

5 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Great idea.  Having that, I could keep the demagnetizer plugged in but switched off.  The visual verification of it on or off, that the LED provides, is nice.

• Like 1

Once the various components are replaced, will it be more effective than a cheap modern demagnetiser?  If not why bother?  Genuine question's, I'm just interested.  I have two demagnetisers, one cheap Chinese one, works OK, one homemade, a central heating pump with the rotor removed, very powerful. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Once the various components are replaced, will it be more effective than a cheap modern demagnetiser?  If not why bother?  Genuine question's, I'm just interested.  I have two demagnetisers, one cheap Chinese one, works OK, one homemade, a central heating pump with the rotor removed, very powerful. 

The cost of a new instant demagnetizer is rather expensive.  An Elma unit from Cousins is £207.95.  Even with replacing components on the vintage unit, it should be significantly less cost.  Not sure on the cost of components yet (which should not be a lot), but I only paid $50 for the unit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Cheap, to rebuild. Far better than the cheap units IMHO.

The big cap is $10. All of the other components total less than $5

• Like 1

I found an Elimag schematic that is pretty close to what I see with this L&R unit.  I made some alterations to it reflect what I see with the L&R.  With the L&R there is an extra capacitor, the 0.05 uF capacitor (the one in my photos that is not all waxy/oily).  Not sure what the purpose of that one is.  There is no 220 Ohm resistor or a resistor for the light.  Though maybe the light has some internal resistor.

It looks like I made a mistake on the switch.  It is a SPDT.

L&R schematic.png

ellimag schematic.png