24 months learning

Well, here I am again. Doing an update. It's been 24 months since I began my journey on this watchmaking hobby.

Where am I at, what have I achieved?

Looking back, time has gone quick. Covid has been and gone...ish. Although I, like others of my age group are still reticent about mixing in a large community situations. This hobby has been a godsend. Something to do, but most of all a change of life direction. Achievement is the name of the game, and to do something that uses acquired physical and mental skill gives great well being. That's what it has done for me. The internet has allowed me to study and to practise physically from visual and audio stimulation.

Like most beginners, I started without direction. Youtube videos, 'I've only been doing this two weeks and I fully serviced this vey intricate watch with many complications'. Oh bloody ha ha. I believed it and started. Ebay sold me a cheap kit (still use most of it) and I purchased watch movements that needed repair (idiot). If they need repair it's because they are broken and if they are broken how can you fix them if your don't have the skill? They are still there in my storage.

I had no idea what I was doing. I do like Seiko's so I tried unsuccessfully to repair some. But I did watch Mike's 'My Retro Watches' who suggested that a course would be a good base, and mentioned Mark Lovick. I was lucky and got a 40% Christmas reduction. At last, guidance!! How did he know that everything I had been doing was wrong? Hmmmm. 

I have mild dyslexia in that I have great difficulty in assimilation of written instruction. I react to physical and visual stimulus. Exactly what Mark offers. So began the extended learning curve. Overcoming the history of broken pivots, springs , lost items and other breakages, I learned system and most of all the skill to practice. An hour or two every day gives a good depth of skill in use of tools. 

Where am I?

I can disassemble most watches with basic complications, day and date, not yet chronographs. I can assemble all the watches and service them to be better than prior to disassembly. I have a plethora of tools and thanks to members even know how to use them.

Am I where I wanted to be after 2 years. No. I was going to do a service on my own Breitling chronograph purchased by me for my 18th birthday in 1966. But I don't want to do so just yet as confidence is not there. Soon. Maybe.

Am I enjoying the hobby? Oh yes. Will I continue? Oh yes. 

The biggest help has been 3 fold.

1. Me, getting off my backside and making the effort.

2. The internet. Courses and YouTube.

3. The membership of this forum. Made good friends and got good guidance.

24 months on. Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you all.

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar, more information
  • Like 6