Seiko 5106a Pressmatic

This beauty was by far the biggest challenge and most complicated movement in my two years of learning the art/science of watch repair (150 parts in total and a mind boggling number of springs on the dial side of the movement).

Purchased as a parts only non-running movement in case from a retired watchmaker, the movement had a broken oscillating weight screw post that was stuck  and it took me two weeks to resolve (with the help of several good chaps on this forum).

Then a couple of weeks hunting around for another salvage movement as source for several missing/broken parts on the original unit.

Finally two days trying to figure out how to re-attach the sprocket to the day wheel while ensuring it has proper alignment with the date.

Fortunately all the case, case back, bezel and crystal needed was a good polish.

Now for a couple of days wearing to ensure proper timekeeping and day/date rollover out in the field before turning over to the “customer” (a friend I offered to do this for at cost as a favor).

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1823.jpeg

Edited by Levine98
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Levine98 said:

This beauty was by far the biggest challenge and most complicated movement in my two years of learning the art/science of watch repair (150 parts in total and a mind boggling number of springs on the dial side of the movement).

Purchased as a parts only non-running movement in case from a retired watchmaker, the movement had a broken oscillating weight screw post that was stuck  and it took me two weeks to resolve (with the help of several good chaps on this forum).

Then a couple of weeks hunting around for another salvage movement as source for several missing/broken parts on the original unit.

Finally two days trying to figure out how to re-attach the sprocket to the day wheel while ensuring it has proper alignment with the date.

Fortunately all the case, case back, bezel and crystal needed was a good polish.

Now for a couple of days wearing to ensure proper timekeeping and day/date rollover out in the field before turning over to the “customer” (a friend I offered to do this for at cost as a favor).

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1823.jpeg

Well, I claimed victory a tad early 😞

looks like the cannon pinion needs to be tightened—even though the watch is timegraphing well, the watch hands seem to be falling behind a minute or so after just an hour and the setting function is extreamly loose.  

well at least this gives me something to do on Monday 😉

5 hours ago, Levine98 said:

Well, I claimed victory a tad early 😞

looks like the cannon pinion needs to be tightened—even though the watch is timegraphing well, the watch hands seem to be falling behind a minute or so after just an hour and the setting function is extreamly loose.  

well at least this gives me something to do on Monday 😉

Cannon pinion tightened, seemed to do the trick. 

I grumble when I have to pay $$$ for a single purpose Swiss tool  (in this case my $95 Bergeon Cannon Pinion Tightening pliers), until I need them 🙂 

Edited by Levine98
  • Like 1