I just bought this big old 65mm pocket watch and need a crystal for it

I just bought this big old silver 65mm hunter pocket watch in an auction and it came with a horrific plastic lens which doesn't even fit. I didn't pay much for it so nothing lost nothing gained. I have looked on Cousins website and their low, hunter crystals aren't large enough. Does anybody have any idea what this case is, there are some interesting marks, one next to the silver mark is a horse. On the front it seems to have a horse or unicorn and some kind of bird maybe an albatross. I haven't started work on it yet as I would like to find out something about it first so I can source a crystal, glass, or even a better proper plastic watch lens and the holding ring or whatever the proper name is (sorry I am fairly new to this). I will be taking it apart and cleaning it and reassembling it etc so something may come up during that process, i just though perhaps somebody could cast some light on the case? Many thanks in advance. Some photos attached, Cheers...Jules

IMG_2594.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

That's the thing Richard the bezel is missing, its just the hunter style watch case and the dial, so I need to think how I'm going to do this. They had literally glued a plastic lens onto the silver, however that wasn't even right as the case couldn't close. The measurements I have taken are the OD of where I think the bezel would be which is 56.5mm and an estimate of the glass size based on the dial OD of 53mm cheers...Jules

7 hours ago, Juleswatch said:

I just bought this big old silver 65mm hunter pocket watch in an auction and it came with a horrific plastic lens which doesn't even fit. I didn't pay much for it so nothing lost nothing gained. I have looked on Cousins website and their low, hunter crystals aren't large enough. Does anybody have any idea what this case is, there are some interesting marks, one next to the silver mark is a horse. On the front it seems to have a horse or unicorn and some kind of bird maybe an albatross. I haven't started work on it yet as I would like to find out something about it first so I can source a crystal, glass, or even a better proper plastic watch lens and the holding ring or whatever the proper name is (sorry I am fairly new to this). I will be taking it apart and cleaning it and reassembling it etc so something may come up during that process, i just though perhaps somebody could cast some light on the case? Many thanks in advance. Some photos attached, Cheers...Jules

IMG_2594.jpgq

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2596.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

A unicorn and a phoenix ? More than likely just a mythical design and has no significance?  The center symbol  I'm sure denotes an Engish case, but there should be assay hallmarks inside. All i see is the silver purity mark of 800. What is the other small hallmark.

Screenshot_20230916-081405_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

The center symbol  I'm sure denotes an Engish case, but there should be assay hallmarks inside. All i see is the silver purity mark of 800. What is the other small hallmark.

I think it's a horse, I've not seen it before, might be a bull! I'll put it under my microscope and resend a photo. I've plenty with the Moon and Crown which I believe was for exportation to Germany, but this is a first for me. It'll be fun trying to get poach or make a bezel, sourcing the glass after might be the easy part!!

9 hours ago, rehajm said:

That crest is amazing- sorry, it looks like a 70s euro metal band album cover or something.

As a child of the 60's and rock festival goer of the 70's I have to agree! Seen plenty of great bands live back then and some later; Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Motorhead, Aerosmith all the way through to Status Quo to name a few, and even went to one of the early Sex Pistols shows in Gt. Yarmouth in the late 70's. Sorry I digress from watches yet again...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Juleswatch said:

think it's a horse, I've not seen it before, might be a bull! I'll put it under my microscope and resend a photo. I've plenty with the Moon and Crown which I believe was for exportation to Germany, but this is a first for me. It'll be fun trying to get poach or make a bezel, sourcing the glass after might be the easy part!!

If it was english there would be assay marks usually 4 or 5.  Swiss or swiss imported maybe, 0.800 purity swiss silver has a walking grouse, could the small stamp be that ?

• Like 1

I'll put it under the microscope and put this to bed! Thanks for all your input, my lathe skills and tools are going to be pushed to the limit, may have to fabricate the bezel - all good fun...

So the microscope shows the pictures below.

1 hour ago, rehajm said:

I’m seeing the bear…

Looks like rehajm wins the salt and vinegar crisps for the day it seems to be the bear he showed above and it is 0,900 silver. So rehajm who used this bear mark that you cleverly identified for me? More goodies for more info 🙂

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

5 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

A unicorn and a phoenix ? More than likely just a mythical design and has no significance

Under the microscope it is maybe a horse and a dragon

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I think you will have to put your lathe skills to the test and make a bezel.  

If I still had my bigger lathe I could probably do it, maybe I can borrow a couple of hours of use somewhere - keep you posted

5 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

A unicorn and a phoenix ? More than likely just a mythical design and has no significance?  The center symbol  I'm sure denotes an Engish case

After further review I think it's a horse and dragon, some spears and then some roses underneath, you might be right a mythical design, maybe George and the Dragon, who knows. Anyway we have the bear symbol and I'll try to get some lathe time on a larger lathe to make a bezel then once that's all done I can source a glass - quite the project, looking forward to it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juleswatch said:

I'll put it under the microscope and put this to bed! Thanks for all your input, my lathe skills and tools are going to be pushed to the limit, may have to fabricate the bezel - all good fun...

So the microscope shows the pictures below.

Looks like rehajm wins the salt and vinegar crisps for the day it seems to be the bear he showed above and it is 0,900 silver. So rehajm who used this bear mark that you cleverly identified for me? More goodies for more info 🙂

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

Under the microscope it is maybe a horse and a dragon

If I still had my bigger lathe I could probably do it, maybe I can borrow a couple of hours of use somewhere - keep you posted

After further review I think it's a horse and dragon, some spears and then some roses underneath, you might be right a mythical design, maybe George and the Dragon, who knows. Anyway we have the bear symbol and I'll try to get some lathe time on a larger lathe to make a bezel then once that's all done I can source a glass - quite the project, looking forward to it

Lol, i bow to rehajm,  my eyesight ain't what it used to be. The bear was the Swiss hallmark for above 80 % silver. Tbh i didn't know there was 90 % i thought the finer grade was above 0.900 hence my mistake for 0.800. The bear was later changed for a duck, go figure that one lol.

• Like 1