Benrus

Can someone help please no reply to my previous question a want to replace my third wheel jewel and the escapement the jewel measurement a got was 1.07mm-0.22 the measurement is for the third wheel jewel not in this picture movement a posted but different one but same type cousinuk does not  have the same size im looking for what other option do I have?

Jewels come in even 0.10mm increments for the outside diameter. So the one you have is sort of an oddball; you could ream the part it goes in to 1.09mm with a jeweling tool and fit a jewel of 1.10mm, but trying to fit a 1.10mm jewel in a hole made for a 1.07mm jewel will end with a broken jewel. Or, perhaps your measuring is off?

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I can well believe that, i stopped using it over a year ago, i think its horrible stuff. Definitely have to use finger covering as it soaks up skin oils like a sponge. I always kept the bit i was using in a little container in an attempt to keep it clean but still had to change it frequently. Once its been used to mop up a little over oiling or pick up a bit of dirt i found it had to be binned shortly after. I very rarely use it unless its to stick something in place. Instead i use jewel pickers or the toothpick condoms as they can be rinsed, dried and reused 
    • Interesting. I find Rodico very useful. Maybe a final wipe with IPA will remove the film.
    • Thank you all for your input.  I will pump the brakes on the Caravelle 11DP.  I have a $40 ST36.  So many different Amazon sources.  Another Esslinger order.  Loupes, parts organizer, demagnatiser, oils.  I have to make that decision. Tools, tools, tools.  And all I have managed is a transplant of a quartz movement.  Hands are tricky!   How to determine if a watch runs well.  Seems like a timegrapher is sooner than I thought.  The more I think about it, if the goal is to based line the ST36, take apart and put back together and assess your work, you have to have one of these tools?  The iPhone/Android based apps seem to get poor ratings.
    • Eyup watch people, a little update on one of the cleaning solutions that i tested a few days ago. The Kerosene ( parafin )  suggested by waggy i used last night to clean up a really grimy greasy movement plate. I did this by hand in a glass jar using a fine nylon brush which within seconds dissolved and dislodged all of the dirt and grease. Next placed the plate on ordinary paper to soak up the majority of the fluid and then blown with a warm hairdryer for one minute. The plate still had a thin oily film on it which i brushed and rinsed off with a small amount of Holts break cleaner spray in a another glass jar and then blown dry for about 30 seconds as the break cleaner evaporated quickly. The result was a completely dry oil and grime free plate , no left over residue or film with very clean looking polished jewels. I'll continue to clean this way for a while and make up some fluid  jars with the two solvent to see how machine cleaning pans out. But it's starting to look like a promising cleaning method and very cheap working out at around a quarter of the price of proprietary cleaners. 5 litres of parafin £11.99 from a garage near me, not a cheap garage either and the Holts brake cleaner, cheapest i could find for that on the internet was 2x 5 litre tins for £27 which then had free delivery on the over £25 order. I expect a local motorist supply shop would have 5 litres for 15 quid ish. Thats a total of around £27 for 5 litres of both cleaner and rinse compared to L n R cleaner and rinse from Cousins that would be touching £100 for 3.8 litres  of both cleaner and rinse.