Hairspring work.

Eyup watch peeps, so is there anything more difficult than hairspring repairing and adjusting. I'm on my final leg of completing an AHS movement that involves pining the hairspring at the stud. This stud is part of the fixed stud arm so involves fitting the stud pin direct to the cock. I decided to do this while the cock is installed, seemed the best approach to work with something stable and solid fastened in a movement holder. The brass pin is super small and round, from books I've read a flat should filed onto the pin. This flat side then fits towards the hairspring allowing staightening of the hairspring before the pin is pushed fully home. After messing around for a few minutes and pinging the pin across the bench ( this is something you dont want to lose sight of, no magnet is going to help you find it ) . Pushing the pin into soft timber and stroking across with a 600 grit ceramic file, perfect. All that remains is to fit it 🤞. What a ridiculously small piece to work with. BTW, these files are the dog's nads, cousins price,  whoa !!!  Chinese seller negotiation price 👍

20230619_220058.jpg

20230619_220215.jpg

16872106146602801389740696811214.jpg

16 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup watch peeps, so is there anything more difficult than hairspring repairing and adjusting. I'm on my final leg of completing an AHS movement that involves pining the hairspring at the stud. This stud is part of the fixed stud arm so involves fitting the stud pin direct to the cock. I decided to do this while the cock is installed, seemed the best approach to work with something stable and solid fastened in a movement holder. The brass pin is super small and round, from books I've read a flat should filed onto the pin. This flat side then fits towards the hairspring allowing staightening of the hairspring before the pin is pushed fully home. After messing around for a few minutes and pinging the pin across the bench ( this is something you dont want to lose sight of, no magnet is going to help you find it ) . Pushing the pin into soft timber and stroking across with a 600 grit ceramic file, perfect. All that remains is to fit it 🤞. What a ridiculously small piece to work with. BTW, these files are the dog's nads, cousins price,  whoa !!!  Chinese seller negotiation price 👍

20230619_220058.jpg

20230619_220215.jpg

16872106146602801389740696811214.jpg

Thats not a single handed operation by any means, a glass of orange juice to steady a slight shake ( very noticable when doing this )  but no couldn't wait. Just a finger from the left hand to steady one of your tweezer fingers makes a huge difference, eliminates any shake completely.  

20230619_225352.jpg

20230619_225242.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1