Staking set question

Some time ago, I recall reading something about that I thought said a staking set could be used to install the hands of a watch.  Is that a true statement or just wishful thinking?  I have the little handheld tools to put the hands on, but I always seem to bend the hands when using them.  I have an old staking set that someone gave me, and I would think that with the staking set, as long as the correct part was used, I could get a nice perfectly vertical push on the hands.  I think the only issue might be the piece that makes contact with the hands is metal. so that might mark up the hands.

For me personally I would say that , that would be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It does take a bit of practice to use the hand held tools but there are alternatives out there that have plastic ends on the pushers to mark hands less and some can be very good. I suggest you have a look at the Chinese tool thread.

Tom

50 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

Is that a true statement or just wishful thinking?

Absolutely true, it is how I install hands and I've never had any issues.

I use the drilled flat faced stakes to push hour and minute hands down to the correct height, and I have a brass faced plain stake that I use for seconds hands. Needless to say that the hands a pushed down, no hammers are involved.

45 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

that would be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut

Agreed, if it means that you are buying a staking set just to install hands. However, if you already have a staking set then it does the exact same job as some of the dedicated hand installing presses, so why wouldn't you use it?

56 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

I have an old staking set that someone gave me

If you already have a set why don't you give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

@Marc I know what you are saying, however using punches made of steel does have its risked. I do agree the accuracy is a good thing. I do have a project in mind to make punches for my staking set with plastic ends to make sure I have minimised any potential damage to the hands.

Tom

4 hours ago, tomh207 said:

@Marc project in mind to make punches for my staking set with plastic ends to make sure I have minimised any potential damage to the hands.

Like this idea. I made a set of pushers for Seitz set of brass with high polish faces. Works great on stubborn hands and offers great control. You could do same for staking set using 3/16 drill rod and epoxying wood, plastic, or bone faces to stake ends.20230403_180416.thumb.jpg.6f30d41c42d9c68bc636d2882b8e301d.jpg

• Like 1