My First Broken Vulcain...

...that I bought but not the first I completed. It's an EBay rescue non-runner- the first one I intended to get working. Well today it finally happened...

Fortunately the Ebay-ers couldn't drop a quart of oil in it because they couldn't get the case back off. I had to run it though the freezer a few times but it eventually popped right off but I had to remove the bezel to take the movement out the front. The movement was dried up but otherwise unmolested. Cleaned up nice. New lume, two new springs and a Sternkreuz from Cousins, then a few days with the movement under the dome. I spent the morning with the tg, pad and pen getting it closed in- so far so good...

(disclosure: some lizards were harmed in the making of this watch strap..)

IMG_1371.jpeg

IMG_0518.jpeg

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 2

• rehajm changed the title to My First Broken Vulcain...
8 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Nice, looking forward to seeing the movement. 

Thank you...I'd love to share stills but fool that I am I saw cal 120 stills in my photo files and wrongly assumed it was this watch. Instead it was another cal 120 I still have in pieces ☹️...here's some assembly stills and a revival video, though...

https://youtube.com/shorts/-tB4urqINFg

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg

IMG_1256.jpeg

Edited by rehajm
  • Haha 1

I have serviced a few of these and there are some tricks to working on them.  For one thing, keep track of which screws go where. 

I own four...kinda got a little out of hand I suppose.  A couple of days ago, I received an ebay purchase of a couple of mainsprings (alarm and time) and a settling lever screw--dunno...just thought I had to have them as backup

43 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I have serviced a few of these and there are some tricks to working on them.  For one thing, keep track of which screws go where. 

I'm a bit shamed to admit somehow there's currently five and a donor in my house. Soon to go to good forever homes...and yes, the screws felt like a chronograph level puzzle at first. A bit easier once I recognized the different sizes tend to move in pairs, yes? Other watchmaker's assembly videos helped me, too..