NH34a GMT and date quickset not turning over

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had experience working with the new NH34a? I recently encountered an issue where the quick-setting function for the date wheel and GMT stopped working. I have already attempted to remove the first 2 layers, and while the date still sets when I move the hour and minute hands, the quickest functions refuse to engage. I am curious if anyone knows whether this could be caused by a misaligned gear in the quickest position? Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any disassembly or assembly videos online, but perhaps this could be a potential topic for someone to make a YouTube video about.

Also, when I removed Date indicator maintaining plate 0808 334 and Date jumper 0810 333, I did put Date corrector wheel 0737 333 back in place correctly I think. However at the second position, I noticed that both the date dial and the 24-hour wheel 0278 333 do not seem to be engaging. The date dial moves a little bit but doesn't click over. Is there a specific position that I need to place the 24-hour wheel in?

Thank you for your time.

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 10.55.13 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 10.55.25 AM.png

It appears to be a common problem with this movement, although the further debate is whether or not there are Chinese clones with QC issues being passed off as Seiko. Where did you buy your movement? 

The tech sheet  shows part 58 (0962 183) that has a small spring that can become deformed and prevent the quick set from engaging. It is the same part used in the NH35 and Seiko movements (as indicated on the part), but does appear to fail more regularly on the NH34A.

On these movements the keyless works are accessed from the drive train side of the movement which is painful.

You can see the wheel on this diagram, the "Day-Date corrector setting transmission wheel (A)":

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 06.30.15.png

Edited by SpringMangler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that sounds like it. I got a too cheap gmt from Tandorio on aliexpress. The other movements that I got from my dealer who sells genuine seiko / tmi movements did not seem to have this issue. Might be a weekend and do a tear down to have a look see 

45 minutes ago, suomaf said:

I think that sounds like it. I got a too cheap gmt from Tandorio on aliexpress. The other movements that I got from my dealer who sells genuine seiko / tmi movements did not seem to have this issue. Might be a weekend and do a tear down to have a look see 

The discussion on another forum seemed to indicate that people having this issue had purchased via Aliexpress or similar. I've got an NH34A lying about that I bought from Cousins so I'll give it a test.

• Like 1

Thank you. I went over there and I think like you I might do a tear down and see if the Day date transmission is the culprit. I have had dozens of NH35/36s and they have never failed so early on the quickset. Weird. 

This is what is happening. It seems to be slipping both on the GMT and date quick set. If I were to push it along, it will click over.

So I got down to the keyless and had a good look at the Day Date corrector setting transmission wheel. I think the technical term is the spring looks mooshed. I am going to get another nh34a and give that a gamble. 

image.thumb.png.1ddb2a2dc27b45af2b27dd1396b025cc.png

image.thumb.png.f07734b5b6e9e4c7cf0035cec134a4e2.png

• 2 weeks later...

So my replacement NH34 came. It is not from Tandorio, but from my regular supplier of NH movements. It seems to be behaving properly. I have not actually stress-tested  it but I did take off and put on multiple hands, this broke the one from Tandorio before. It also explains how it looks like a mish-mash of parts.

tandorio-1640.jpg

• 10 months later...

My 2 cents. I had this issue with two nh34s. Took them apart, re-assembled, etc tried everything. Then, of all the dumb luck, I couldn’t find the crown to test one and used the original factory stem. Worked like a charm. Tried it on the other one. Successfully. Found the crown with the stem I’d cut, no dice. Replaced it but compared it first. Didn’t seem to be broken but got rid of it anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This post really helped solve why the quickset date and GMT stopped working. I was lucky enough to have a parts NH35 kicking around and swapped the Day-Date corrector setting transmission wheel and everything works fine now. However my confidence in this movement has been shaken. I have purchased many NH35 movements from Aliexpress without issue. This was my first NH34 and question if the failure rate of this part is high. The OP posted over a year ago and it seems that the issue is still there.