There is an enormous thread about microscopes that goes into all the details you might ever want to know for watchmaking (or nearly so). Toward the end, you'll find the most current links and suggestions for the model(s) that are best/least expensive for task, but it's worth reading the thread on your way to those links. 

I doubt the one shown in the PP first post is very suitable for use in repairs, inspection maybe but not repairs. Plus you will do damage to your neck with those vortical eye peace's.

I would suggest saving a little longer and buying one of the more common types.

Look for things like Stereo, trinocular, simulfocus plus add a low cost video camera, I found having one to be a boon whilst leaning even if it's only to a record of where all the bits came from, just record the stripdown and then play it back as you assemble after cleaning, that option saved the day on more than one occasion .

This is the one I went with and from a UK seller so next day delivery, if you search eBay you will find them in the usual cream colour from Chinese sellers for under £200, all you have to add is a Barlow lens 0.5 to give a greater working distance, enough to get screwdrivers ect under the lens  and a camera, mine was under £50 and has enough resolution but a higher resolution would be a better choice and I will probably upgrade  mine someday, just to make the still pictures sharper but it's not so important in video.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124373214244?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=PNBmY-cRSd-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cJqjENlHSBe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

If you can afford a version with a boom arm rather than the all in one stand go for it if you can.

But I have been using mine for a year now and can't fault it.

Hope this has been of help

If you register on the Amscope site they regularly send through clearance offers. Picked up an Amscope 3.5X-45X stereo microscope on a boom stand with an LED light and 0.5 barlow lens for £240 a month ago on a clearance deal.

The 0.5 barlow lens allows a good working distance and the boom arm is great for freeing up space.

I'd read a lot about the benefits of using a microscope but, without being overly dramatic, this has been a game changer for me. 

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.