Technical and repair manual for clone of Rolex GMT Master II

Hi guys!!

A friend of mine gave me a clone of a Rolex GMT Master II. The watch is running, but the hour hand is not moving. It does not move on either the 0 position (crown screwed all the way in) or the 3rd position. The hour hand only moves when the crown is on the 2nd position, that's when you can adjust it without turning the rest of the other hands. 

I've never worked on a GMT complication, rolex, or a clone of a rolex movement. On the movement you can read 3285. I think it's the caliber being cloned. I was wondering if someone here has a technical, repair or service manual that could help me disassemble, inspect, and put it back together. Maybe someone here could place me on a right track per why the hour hand is not working as it's supposed to. I'm attaching some pictures as well.

Thanks a million beforehand.

20220816_190805.jpg

20220816_190942.jpg

20220816_190931.jpg

20220816_190921.jpg

With some luck you will find an genuine service guide for the similar predecessor Rolex 3185 in the www. Best is to search Youtube for an appropriate service video. The differences in the caliber design between genuine and fake are minimal. But be aware that the material and build quality is significantly lower. Up to now I had two Chinese movements on my bench and had to deal with a broken screw head in both cases.

(see personal message!)

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for taking the time in placing me on the right direction. Thank you so much Kalanag for the idea of searching similar predecessors. I'll definetly do it. I think Mark (founder of the forum) has some videos about similar calibers on his YouTube channel. Those will be a must for me to watch. I'll keep posting here as I make some progression on this piece.

6 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

interesting I was going to say the reason you get such a great deal of the clone is that other than the outside the insides are totally different? So how similar is the clone to the original Rolex?

I purchased a 3135 clone (VR3135) for €80,- incl. shipmemt from China. I wanted to gain some assembly practice before servicing my genuine Rolex Datejust. I found (and others have found it too) that all parts seem to be interchangable except the Chinese balance unit which doesn‘t come with a Breguet overcoil.

3135 clone comparison

Edited by Kalanag