Oiling an ETA cannon pinion w/driving wheel

This is my first time servicing an ETA with a cannon driving wheel (ETA 2372) and I’m not sure where to oil the bottom of the cannon pinion w/ driving wheel. The inset in the upper right of the below photo is from the 2826-2 tech sheet showing the oiling of the underside of that cannon pinion w/ driving wheel, but I’m not clear on where exactly to apply the oil.

In the larger photo are three possible locations that I can see. So, a few questions:

1. Is it at location 1, 2 or 3?
2. There are three “spokes” on the wheel that grip the cannon pinion, do you apply oil at those three locations around the wheel?

3. I don’t  have any 9501 grease on hand. Until I am able to get some, would Molykote DX be an acceptable alternative?

Cannon-driving-wheel.thumb.jpg.dd8db4ad935f6ffde00048ee7a1781aa.jpg

Good stuff, thanks! Would I oil/grease all three "gutters"?

Is the purpose of the grease to allow the cannon pinion to "slip" on the driving wheel when setting the time? If so, would it be better to remove the canon pinion from the driving wheel and then grease the surfaces of those three tabs where the cannon pinion sits, and then replace the cannon pinion in the driving wheel?

Yes, the purpose of the oiling is to allow the cannon pinion to rotate on the driving wheel when setting the time. I wouldn’t take apart the cannon pinion from the driving wheel when oiling it; it’s quite easy to distort the rim holding it in place if you do that. Just a tiny amount of Molykote DX or hp 1300 in the gutter is enough. You can get it to distribute by setting the time after assembly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1