Orient 1743 21J

Tiny

So I'm not having a good day.

I bought a Job lot of watches most have no glass and some have backs missing.

with this in mind I thought I would start on a watch that had both glass and back on it. so I picked the Orient with a movement 1743 with  a case number of 20214091.

So I need a stem for this watch so I went on over to cousins and found the part Orient stem 1743-401 only to find it's been discontinued.

so this is my first time hunting a part down what is my next step in finding the part ??

10 minutes ago, Tiny said:

So I'm not having a good day.

I bought a Job lot of watches most have no glass and some have backs missing.

with this in mind I thought I would start on a watch that had both glass and back on it. so I picked the Orient with a movement 1743 with  a case number of 20214091.

So I need a stem for this watch so I went on over to cousins and found the part Orient stem 1743-401 only to find it's been discontinued.

so this is my first time hunting a part down what is my next step in finding the part ??

Hi Tiny. Not a good start bless. This is the reality  of ebay watch buying. It can be very hit and miss. You have to take the rough with the smooth fella. Its definitely  going to keep you busy and learning fast. I nearly always avoid buying anything that doesn't have a stem because you might have a hard time tracking another one down but not impossible so don't be too disappointed. And saying that you will learn loads having to do so. Dials as well, dials to me are everything.  As a beginner there are some dials that you can barely touch to improve as the finishes on them are so delicate. Choose the Condition of the dial to the best of your ability.  Some aged dials you shouldn't touch at all, a beautiful patina on a dial can be very easily ruined. I'm pretty  good at this as I've done a lot of it right from the start and learn very fast  from my mistakes. Some of which were not pleasant. Let us know how you get on. I cant really help you with part tracking  down as I nearly always choose the donor method of fixing as that then gives me many more spare parts in the bank. But this is also risky as your donor part may not be up to the job either. Good luck.

Rich thank you so so much for your reply I have written to a gent on ebay just waiting for a reply.

I must admit I've watched to many youtube video's where people have just come up with a ww1-ww2 watch part (new) that may have painted the wrong picture about part finding lol

Onward and upward  

4 hours ago, Tiny said:

Rich thank you so so much for your reply I have written to a gent on ebay just waiting for a reply.

I must admit I've watched to many youtube video's where people have just come up with a ww1-ww2 watch part (new) that may have painted the wrong picture about part finding lol

Onward and upward  

No problem  Tiny. My knowledge is far far from vast, repairing especially, but I have good logic and a good heart. A bit whacky eccentric and silly at times but perfectly harmless. My 37 year long wife loves me anyway so I must be doing something right. I'm allocating myself as the forum's  #AVENGER#.  What do you think ? Any ideas on my name will be welcomed or annoyingly dismissed, I am in  the forum's hands lol

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

4 minutes ago, Tiny said:

hello mr avenger 

I like it. My wife love me too yes we must be doing something right only 26 year but they've been the best day of my life 

Aw bless thats lovely. Great to find the right one early on.  I was thinking of going with  #Captain clock head# it seems to fit me very well, but I've a feeling the moderators won't approve and I'll be getting my wrists slapped for a second time in one week. So I'm going to have to rethink that one.🙂

So after about 8hrs searching for a stem with two ebayers keeping there eye out for me this watch is going in the file todo later when I get the part lol

I do have a Seiko 5 that I'm going to look at next

8 minutes ago, Tiny said:

So after about 8hrs searching for a stem with two ebayers keeping there eye out for me this watch is going in the file todo later when I get the part lol

I do have a Seiko 5 that I'm going to look at next

I have a few I'll come back to you watches on hold. Did you know there is a seiko 5 range that is voted the most value for money watch in the world. The seiko 5 snk 800 series. Hopefully I've remembered  right. And the 5 denotes 5 aspects and complications of the seiko 5 that seiko decided were of importance and incorporate those attributes  to all seiko 5 watches. I am a mi d full of information as well as a nutter.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

9 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

SNK80x is mostly field watches using 7S26 movements. They really are cheap (around $100) but has been discontinued. They still pop up on Amazon as new watches, so grab them while you can. I have a bunch of them and love them to bits.

Wow I got the model right I didn't even dig it out to have a look. I am impressed  with myself. Yes it is a field watch, good value for money. The 7s26 has been around a long long time, probably seikos biggest seller their bread and butter but like you say discontinued now. Shame about the non manual wind though. I've also got the snkl23, a little bit dearer but for the price it's a lovely  looking dress watch.

The lack of manual wind is the biggest pain on the 7S26. I’ve been tempted many times to chuck those movements and put in nh36, especially on the nicer watches. I’ll see when I pull the trigger on my next cousins order, maybe add a few nh36 into the cart

24 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

The lack of manual wind is the biggest pain on the 7S26. I’ve been tempted many times to chuck those movements and put in nh36, especially on the nicer watches. I’ll see when I pull the trigger on my next cousins order, maybe add a few nh36 into the cart

Noooooo. Don't throw them. Keep original or send them my way. Lol