Moebius 8000 Question

Hello everyone

Before I found this forum and learned more about lubricants I serviced a few pocket watches and used moebius 8000 for all the jewel lubrication. All drivetrain jewels and balance jewels.

I have now come to learn that 9010 is recommended for these spots on wrist watches and 9020 on pocket watches. So my questions are. How will 8000 hold up compared to these others? Would you recommend leaving as is or reservice these movements? I also remember reading in one book (can't remember witch one) that for pocket watches all that is really needed is one light oil, one heavier oil and a grease for cannon and keyless.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel.  Oil thickness, or flowability, is indicated by viscosity (typically at 20 deg C).   M8000 = 95, M9010 = 150, M9020 = 270 and M9000 (Quartz) = 100.  So nearest to M8000 is in fact M9000 but M9101 is the standard for watch balances etc.  The 8xxx series are mineral oils (ie natural hydrocarbon oils) and the 9xxx series are based on PAO synthesised oil.  The latter has much better operating range, greater stability, oxidation resistance, and has an added anti-wear component, so will last longer and perform better.  There is a 'viscosity change' test (but will not go into details) and for comparison 8xxx have +18%  compared with 9xxx +2% (ie less thickening over time).  Thinner oils will offer less viscous drag and the faster a part rotates the lower the viscosity requirement, hence a thin oil for the balance end and thicker oils towards the mainspring end. I would always go for the synthetic types despite their initial costs.(My earlier posts 'Lubrication Basics' gives more info and there are plenty of other posts to help you).  Trust this helps a little.

• Like 3