A big achievement for me -Seiko Jumbo Chronograph 6138-3002

Hello from Canada

I am so happy with my latest restoration/repair that I decided to share with you.

a bit of history first : this watch was bought from a local jewelry in mai 2020. It was in pieces, crappy, broken stem, but otherwise complete. Cheap as it come, I think the jeweller didn’t realize that it was worth more… I bought it as the first watch to play with it, not knowing that it is a complex watch and my experience was, well… zero. Rapidly, I realized that it is over my head as a immediate project and I put it aside, not before playing a bit with the movement and, unfortunately, breaking the upper pivot of the balance. Yes, noobie error, putting pressure on the balance with your finger, I know it (now)!
Several other watches were used to garner some experience and many errors and trials went on and on. I slowly disassembled the watch, cleaned the case and bracelet and decided to change the crystal also (Sternkreuz variant to the Seiko original, thanks to cousins). A new stem was found, and also a new balance complete, thanks to the big bay… I tried to learn and change the balance staff, but I miserably failed, I think I am not there yet…

Finally, two months ago, I had the courage to delve in and disassemble to movement, clean it and put it together again. All went well, with some trial and error also, as the assembly is not always straightforward, ie the chronograph wheel levers and springs… but I succeeded. I learned a lot in the process and there are several small things that I would do again better, but for now, I think the result is more than satisfactory for me.

so there it is: Seiko Jumbo 6139-3002 Chronograph, around 1973, restored somehow at its ancient glory! Only things changed: stem (original NOS), balance complete (Seiko original NOS), crystal (as mentioned). All in all, it is a beautifully preserved watch that I am proud to own. Even the lume is still working, quite faint, but still… 

Movement 6138B, around 230 degrees amplitude, beat error between 0.0 and 0.3 ms, +4s to -2s per day in all positions… power reserve above 42 hours without the chronograph, more or less 41 hours with the chronograph…

It is one of my favorite watches as we speak, and also one of the most accurate!!!

32D1FFDC-97D7-4F54-8407-8449E62087D4.jpeg

74D01346-F017-4DFB-AE13-84370ADE54BA.jpeg

5084B6A2-5350-4A4F-9F62-5818A20F12CB.jpeg

EAB7E21D-7979-4321-A4F2-8E48579F8443.jpeg

722537BA-059B-4B22-ABE8-900C80D9ACAE.jpeg

6E03030F-C968-4AFF-B5E0-121362B20E12.jpeg

E0FF3675-4BB9-4734-8DC4-CBB3EC55121C.jpeg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Mircea said:

Hello from Canada

I am so happy with my latest restoration/repair that I decided to share with you.

a bit of history first : this watch was bought from a local jewelry in mai 2020. It was in pieces, crappy, broken stem, but otherwise complete. Cheap as it come, I think the jeweller didn’t realize that it was worth more… I bought it as the first watch to play with it, not knowing that it is a complex watch and my experience was, well… zero. Rapidly, I realized that it is over my head as a immediate project and I put it aside, not before playing a bit with the movement and, unfortunately, breaking the upper pivot of the balance. Yes, noobie error, putting pressure on the balance with your finger, I know it (now)!
Several other watches were used to garner some experience and many errors and trials went on and on. I slowly disassembled the watch, cleaned the case and bracelet and decided to change the crystal also (Sternkreuz variant to the Seiko original, thanks to cousins). A new stem was found, and also a new balance complete, thanks to the big bay… I tried to learn and change the balance staff, but I miserably failed, I think I am not there yet…

Finally, two months ago, I had the courage to delve in and disassemble to movement, clean it and put it together again. All went well, with some trial and error also, as the assembly is not always straightforward, ie the chronograph wheel levers and springs… but I succeeded. I learned a lot in the process and there are several small things that I would do again better, but for now, I think the result is more than satisfactory for me.

so there it is: Seiko Jumbo 6139-3002 Chronograph, around 1973, restored somehow at its ancient glory! Only things changed: stem (original NOS), balance complete (Seiko original NOS), crystal (as mentioned). All in all, it is a beautifully preserved watch that I am proud to own. Even the lume is still working, quite faint, but still… 

Movement 6138B, around 230 degrees amplitude, beat error between 0.0 and 0.3 ms, +4s to -2s per day in all positions… power reserve above 42 hours without the chronograph, more or less 41 hours with the chronograph…

It is one of my favorite watches as we speak, and also one of the most accurate!!!

32D1FFDC-97D7-4F54-8407-8449E62087D4.jpeg

74D01346-F017-4DFB-AE13-84370ADE54BA.jpeg

5084B6A2-5350-4A4F-9F62-5818A20F12CB.jpeg

EAB7E21D-7979-4321-A4F2-8E48579F8443.jpeg

722537BA-059B-4B22-ABE8-900C80D9ACAE.jpeg

6E03030F-C968-4AFF-B5E0-121362B20E12.jpeg

E0FF3675-4BB9-4734-8DC4-CBB3EC55121C.jpeg

Thats a cracking watch my friend. You did jump in at the deep end there with your first attempt. But very well done for finishing it 👍, you must be very proud of yourself.

3 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Good job! Hope my first real one goes just as well!

Cheap Russian watches served very well to make the experience growing rapidly in my case. Still buying them from Ukraine, by the way… they are well done and usually work after cleaning, changing broken pieces and tweaking a bit. A working watch after all your efforts is the most motivating thing to keep you continuing! And also, a good stereo microscope has facilitated the work a lot!

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

• Like 1