I come to you gents for aid.  Along with a lot of antique tools that I purchased were these three that I was unsure about. Perhaps one of you can help me learn their purpose.

The first one - I know I've seen one, but I have no clue at all.

The second - could it be a kind of pivot drilling jig?

The third - there was writing in French on its case which translated roughly to: "hole closing tool".  If so, what kind of holes? Is it a clock tool? For hand holes?  Or some other watch part?

Any answers will be welcome. Correct answers will be most welcome!  Funny answers will be entertained/entertaining. 

IMG_20220305_175641.jpg

IMG_20220305_175821.jpg

IMG_20220305_180000.jpg

Edited by KarlvonKoln

The second does look like one of the pivoting tools. The right hand side centre would be hollow and you would put a pivot drill through it, while driving the wheel from a loose pulley wtih a pin over the left hand female centre; normally with a bow as with the Jacot tool.  There's a video of a more modern one being used here:

• Thanks 1

UPDATE: First of all, thank you for what you have offered so far.  I found information online about drilling and mounting pivots.

But can anyone explain how to use tool #1 or #3?  Or offer a link or online reference?  I want to practice with them. 

No. 1:

tool1.jpg.d70c4242654bf1791ccd127a7406e5b7.jpg

To drill a hairspring collet for bigger staffs:

-collet comes here (red)
- center the collet with pointed pin (blue). There must be 2 pins for the 2 clamping plates. And 2 knurled supports imo.
- Clamp tightly with nut (green)
- drill through hole of clamping plate.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.