What should I do about this loose "cannon pinion"?

GregG

I am servicing an Ingersoll model 20 movement. The center wheel has a gear that acts in place of a traditional cannon pinion, which is rigidly fixed to it (first image). As a result of being fixed to it, you normally cannot remove the center wheel. When the center wheel turns, the gear turns as well, and interacts with the intermediate/minute wheel, which drives the hour wheel when it's attached.

After cleaning, the gear came loose from the center wheel (second image).  This allowed me to remove the center wheel and oil the hole, but now, i cannot reattach the gear.  It doesn't seem like it was friction fit, because it slides up and down freely on the axle, no matter how far up or down i go.

Without the rigid attachment, the hour hand won't work.  Does someone know how to get it attached again?

IMG_20210811_213818.jpg

IMG_20210812_003916.jpg

Edited by GregG

6 hours ago, clockboy said:

Maybe clean with a degreaser and a touch of loctite. Closing the wheel hole could cause other issues. I must admit this is new one for me. 

I was thinking of that, but i was worried the loctite might seep into the hole, stopping the center wheel from turning.

13 hours ago, GregG said:

I was thinking of that, but i was worried the loctite might seep into the hole, stopping the center wheel from turning.

Yes I agree that’s why I recommend a touch of loctite. I have never come across this style keyless side of a watch before,  just wondering if it is just friction fitted why it no longer fits.

• 2 years later...

This is from a few years ago, but I'm curious if you ever sorted it out satisfactorily @GregG. I'm working on an Ingersoll dollar watch that uses this setup. I mistakenly thought the pressed on gear was the thing providing the hand setting friction while fighting a situation where my watch runs merrily keeping time while the hands almost never move. I had tried tightening that gear by closing its hole slightly and pushing it back on, with no effect on the motion works. Hands still only move intermittently. I was afraid to try Loctite.

Now after digging around for any close ups on the Ingersoll center wheel's construction, I realize the hand setting friction is provided by a domed washer on the other end of the center wheel arbor, beneath its pinion. I'm guessing that I've pulled that slightly loose while trying to lever off the gear on the dial side and that's why I have insufficient friction for the hands to run.

I didn't end up trying the loctite solution that was proposed here.  In fact, I don't remember exactly what I did with it XD.  However, I never encountered another watch like this, even the same make and model.  I'm chalking this one up to a fluke.