Old carriage clock with new plattform escapement.

Dear all,

I have an old carriage clock where it's original cylinder plattform escapement is very worn. The balance spring is rust covered, the cylinder is beaten and the pinion has also tooth beaten leaves. Since it is way out of my league to repair a cylinder escapement I found a modern plattform escapement which fits bang on. 18 tousend beats, 8 leaves pinion and the exact same pinion dimensions as the original. I gave it a test run and it performs very well. My only hurdle now is that the original holes fit the width (a true miracle) but lengthwise I would need to make 4 slot holes out of the 2mm plattform holes. This would have the advantage that I can precisely mesh the contrate wheel with the plattform pinion. I just have no idea how to go about this. Shall I file or mill the plate holes of the escapement or am I on the complete wrong track?

Cheers and all the best from Hamburg Alex

IMG_20210510_165602_1.thumb.jpg.44128d8c28c507137fa64959abe9cf89.jpgIMG_20210510_165705.thumb.jpg.16cda61ab0a4f805a19669d779706344.jpg

IMG_20210512_175835_1.thumb.jpg.6f066c968a447583c896c08172fde20f.jpg

Re placing the platform means you have devalued the clock. You need to line the platform up with the  contrate wheel as you said and mark the platform where the holes are in the clock plates. Mill the holes is best this will make sure they are straight. As you know you have a depth adjusting screw to help with the meshing. Why don't you look on ebay for a replacement cylinder platform.

Just ask if you need more help. 

Thanks Oldhippy. I've been searching eBay for three months now without much avail. But of course you are right - a plattform escapement from the 70ies just doesn't look right on a clock from the 1890ies. I think the best I can do is to calm down be patient and keep on looking for the right escapement. Cheers from Hamburg. Alex.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.