Reassembling the date wheel on a vintage pin pallet watch

Hi, I’ve just come to this lovely hobby and am a bit stuck finding any info on the date wheel assembly. 
When I removed the plate holding the wheel, I photographed the loose prices lying underneath. Some were still in place, so I can guess they are correct. There is one spring that was sitting there. Would I be correct in thinking it goes in the recess like the other spring that is still in place? If it does, is there a correct way to point it? Thanks in advance. 

EAB7F4D7-EBCC-478D-8C81-80DC73EF5017.jpeg

image.jpg

Hi Bob  what is the caliber number and make of the movement, with that we may be able to find you some information.  As a rule the spring pushes the detent inti the date wheel so that when it steps over it checks it into position, when assembling the front plate and fitting the springs either use rodico to hold the spring or do it inside a large clear plastic bag, that way if parts go flying which they are prone to do you will have them captured in the bag. Saves hours on the knees with a magnet.

• Like 1

Hi Bob  Its probably a BFG 582  (attached tech sheet)  you will be able to identify the spring from the list and its function, another source of information is Dr Roland Ranff's site, just google Ranfft BFG582 and it will give you quite a lot of useful data.   I have added the glossary for your interest.        Cheers

TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf 2525_BFG 582,582.31,582.31.7.pdf

• Thanks 1

When I was working as a computer engineer and contacted support for anything it was the first thing they said (have you read the manual) So i got into the habit doing that first, without it can be guess work and not following procedures and lead to danger or broken machines.

• Like 1